Mastering an ep - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mastering an ep

Let's not forget that it's not just a matter of paying, but also WHO you pay.

Before his passing, I had the pleasure of watching Ron Murphy of Detroit's National Sound work his magic. The "who" can determine the final sound to give it a characteristic sound. Make no mistake about it, the mastering process (at least for vinyl) is a true art.

Tech Convert

Ah cool Nosferatu! Ron was one of those "true old school masters" the boy sure knew his onions! His vinyl work was second to none!

Were you having a plate cut by him?

Boy do I miss seeing someone great on the lathe! Mind you I always attend mastering and every time am in awe how the tools get chosen and used, the top dudes certainly have their sound. When you strike a good working relationship with these guys their sound tends to merge with yours and strike a fabulous consistency, which of course is vital for Album flow. The pure skill of taking a bunch of tracks mixed at different times, with different vibes and making them sound like they all belong on the same CD is HUGE!!!

At that time, I was just "signed" to a label and attended one of Ron's sessions. Unfortunately, he passed just before my first release was completed and as such I do not have any releases with the "NSC" logo on the inner groove space. The studio was decorated with vinyl from some of Detroit's biggest names in electronic music...every time I went there it was a humbling experience.

Saint brings up a good point... the price of admission (for vinyl mastering) consists of the mysterious lathe. Imagine using a machine for which there are virtually no replacement parts and is typically twice the age of the musicians who are being mastered! Rewind this thread and read Lance's replies... this is good advice.

This step is not to be taken lightly, vinyl or digital.

Tech Convert

I'd recommend you use a known studio for mastering if you can afford it... however if you can't and just need to do it yourself you could try

AAMS (auto audio Mastering System) http://www.curioza.com/

It's not perfect but does a fairly decent job. It comes with loads of presets for many styles of music or you can even modify or create your own. It can generate a template from an existing artists track that has a similar sound to what your after. Sometimes it takes a few attempts and can take a while to master the track but the results are usually pretty impressive. You can use it's tools manually if you prefer to tinker yourself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123