VCI 100 LED Midi Range question

Default VCI 100 LED mapping and resistor question

(new question is post 3)

good evening wonderful people of djtt.

got a quick one about the midi range on the LEDs of a vci 100.

just finished some epic remapping, and now have it so that my jogs have 4 different 'modes' a/b scratch, c/d scratch, browser control and a/b pitch control.
    i'm planning to rewire the leds from a couple of buttons into the middle of the faceplate to show the 'jog mode'. using the two buttons directly above channel faders. i'll call them 'a' and 'b'

just want to check that the midi range is basically, 0 -off 1 - orange 2 - green?
    (i'll be changing them to blue ones though)

output mapping will be based on modifier state
    the states are;
    a/b scratch - mod 2 = 0 / mod 5 = 0
    c/d scratch - mod 2 = 0 / mod 5 = 1
    browser = mod 2 = 2 / mod 5 = 2
    a/b pitch - mod 2 = 1 / mod 5 = 0

at a guess for map....
    (min / max)
    a/b scratch - modifier 2, control range 0 / 1, midi range 1 / 0 [note a]
    c/d scratch - modifier 5, control range 0 / 1, midi range 0 / 2 [note a]

if i'm right, this would turn one light on when mod 2 is '0 state' and the other when mod 5 is '1 state' and so other 2 would be

browse - mod 5, control range 0 / 2, midi range 0 / 1 [note b]
    a/b pitch - mod 2, control range 1 / 0, midi range 2 / 0 [note b] mod 5 = 0 (would need mod 5 condition as the 'pitch mode' won't work in c/d scratch mode, and don't want the light on for no reason when hit shift (mod 2) button)

basing browse on mod 5 as mod 2 state can be changed after loading, but jog won't do anything, so technically still in browse mode, kinda

EDIT: 0 = orange, 1 upto 127 is green, so would need 4 buttons worth of leds, so just using 2, one for browse and one for c/d scratch. and that's on the ones that 2 leds, some only have one green, and found the transport ones don't seem to be mappable
    Last edited by BradCee; 04-09-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

forgot to mention, can't test the map myself, as the leds are long since invisible since the recolouring it

SoundCloud

ok, the saga continues.

got the leds in, got the map to work, only using leds for jog browse and c/d scratcg now - other 2 seemed a bit pointless.

however, new issue...

as i wanted the leds to display in the middle of the vci, not in original location, i soldered chase wires from the back of the green one leds of the 2 buttons i've hijacked. left the green ones in place (thinking about future uses that may require me needing them).
    now when they display the mod states, they go dim with the green led on, and get bright when the orange one is on. sorted out the mapping with the vci opened up, so i could see the leds, then got on with drill/solder

i figure the the dimness is beacuse it's sharing the current with the green led, but can't work out why they stay on (and brighter) when the orange led is on? i've checked and nothing is touching anything it shouldn't.
    on the plus it does show that it's 'working' as they 'change' based on the mod state. but it was meant to go on/off with the green one, instead i've had to invert to work along side the orange - don't worry about this bit though

what i need to know is, would putting a resistor inline with the positive side of the wire linking the leds cure this? by that i mean make it even dimmer/off with the green on (so displaying 'off' effectively) and be visible when the orange one comes on? and so displaying 'on'? need to know this for definate before trying it, as don't want to run risk of having to completely resolder the leds if it makes it worse.

in the mean time, while i wait for help, i'll try using 'send monitor state' and things like that.
    Last edited by BradCee; 04-09-2010 at 02:36 AM.

SoundCloud

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Why didn't you just set your output to whatever command would have lit up those buttons?

So, you hit Play, for example, and the Cue button lights up?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Why didn't you just set your output to whatever command would have lit up those buttons?

So, you hit Play, for example, and the Cue button lights up?
    stickers over buttons, can't see them. plus i thought this would look cool, and it does just got to get it working right

otherwise i would've just done that. the jog mode is changed with the round knobs at top right, using the former 'sync' button lights for this (green one from each). they're working just fine and as they should, it's the blue ones i've tapped off the back that aren't.

on further investigation i have found that all the leds have a voltage on the back of the pcb, regardless of being on or off. so that has something to with it, but i don't get where this is coming from if the led (and related connections) are being told 'off' not 'on'?

unsure as to whether this means i have to totally remove the green ones and put chase cable in place instead of just tapping, and if so if i have to use the green ones as maybe the blue ones i have don't match original circuit in some way?
    and can't find a tech spec on them anywhere.

SoundCloud