Rate 'Em (Soundcard Upgrade Time)

Default Rate 'Em (Soundcard Upgrade Time)

I'm looking into a couple of possibilities for a Soundcard Upgrade. My needs are simple:
    A) 4 Outs, separate volume controls on each pair as I use the card for all computer needs (so I want a knob to control the volume) and of course cuing.

B) 2 Ins, XLR for a mic and 1/4" for instrument, or running a stereo input through both. Obviously I need a Hi-Z for the instrument (bass!) with a LOT of gain as I am a passive pickup guy.

C) Midi I-O.

D) This is for producing, too, so I want good A/D converters that will provide good quality inputs.

E) I am more inclined to go USB, but Firewire is an option.

F) Size is not really an issue, but for EDM, I don't see myself needing 8 ins and 24 outs, so a small box seems in order.

So far the choices I am aware of are the NI Kontrol 1 and the Focusrite Saffire 6. I am leaning towards the Saffire as I like the TRS and RCA for outputs, but I am really in the dark about them as a company and how good the quality is (I read bad things about their drivers...).

Currently I use a NI Session I/O for the most part, but no Midi and no 2nd stereo channel are the killers. Plus it's Hi-Z gain is a bit weak as I have to max out the gain and boost the s/w gain to get a strong recording signal. For mixing I use a A2DJ which is great for that purpose but with no ins.

Any opinions or other suggestions?

Phil.
    Last edited by pilmat; 04-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

No takers? I'm on my own then?

Waiting on a local ad reply for a used Kontrol. And the Saffire is in stock locally too. Maybe by the weekend...

Phil.

Tech Convert

Im rather fond of my Motu Ultralite Hybrid, but you'd have to control your volume via software maybe??? I might be wrong I'm still a noob. I have also heard of some people having issues using it with a PC, but it works flawlessly with my mac...

I looked at the Motu (Ultralite and Traveller). But I don't need anywhere near that many ins and outs. There is a way to control the master and headphone volume from the front, but not at the same time (a complaint read on a couple of forums).

To be honest, what I really want is an Apogee Duet with 4 outs. This was the audio interface I looked at first when wanting to hook up my bass to the computer. But I went with the NI Session I/O due to cost (I got the Session with Guitar Rig 4 Pro for less than the Duet). No regrets on the Session, only it too has only one stereo out.

The Apogee Ensemble is the next step up, but the price jumps from ~500 for the Duet to ~2000 for the Ensemble (again with a bazillion ins and outs). But I always read how much better an APogee sounds compared to anything else. The real question is do they colour the sound (i.e. not flat)?

Still waiting on the guy to get back to me on the Audio Kontrol.

Phil.

Tech Guru

I love the AK1. I think the Presonus firebox has what you're looking for as well?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

I love the AK1 too. Balanced 1/4" outputs better than RCA IMO

No midi inputs on it though. Can't you just use USB instead of midi?

As in all my midi devices (Controller and Keyboard) are usb and run off my computer.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by djmaxone View Post
    No midi inputs on it though. Can't you just use USB instead of midi?
    It has Midi ports (see attached pic), do they not work? (confused expression on face)

I have a couple of "older" pieces of kit (like a Roland Handsonic 10) that has old skool midi. At the moment I port it through my 49SL Mk2, but while I'm at the audio interface purchase I want to cover all bases (I passed on a Faderfox deal due to this..).

My comment on RCA/TRS for the Saffire is it has BOTH, nice option. But I since learned the AK1 will autodetect the connection and provide balanced/unbalanced depending on connection.

Phil.

Oh yeah, so it does... Silly me, just never use em.

Well I can't fault the sound quality of them. I've krk vxt4 speakers and it sounds mega crisp. It's a very solid build too.

It's tailor made (literally) for both producing and digital djing so i'd say it's perfect for your needs.

I have phono to rca adapters for when going into a club mixer. Very straight forward to set up. Love it basically
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

OK, the guy got back to me and we have an accord. I pick up the AK1 tomorrow.

What's the deal with the software and OS 10.6? I see something about having to use V1.01, but it is not on the NI website.

Anybody have any insight?

Phil.

SWEET!!!!! The AK! works perfect (I loaded version 1.01 of the control sw with the latest driver).

Thanks everybody!

Phil.