Girl Talk, Performance with Maschine - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

+1. If you want to do something then go for it.

I have Maschine, but daym... Sampling in Ableton is just way easier. I'd create clips in Ableton to do this sort of thing. Use Maschine to add beats and additional sounds.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Says View Post
    He is in a movie called RiP!: A Remix Manifesto. I haven't seen this movie in years. The movie is about intellectual property and he demonstates how he assembles his mashups. I'm not sure if it will help you but give it a shot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KykbPtRb0K4
    Live 8 / X-session Pro / KP3 / SCS.3D / Launch Pad / Pacemaker

And a large pile of custom diy midi controllers

That's it. I just watch the whole documentary. He appears in it several more times so you can see how he performs too. But thanks for finding this clip for me. I was at work when I posted so I couldn't really look for it.

Tech Guru

Where I got confused was how easy he made it look. It's definitely more of a prepared set as opposed to doing it on the fly, which clears things up for me. The thing I like about Maschine not having to ever use the mouse really or have the window open. With ableton that would require switching between Traktor and Ableton windows, with Maschine I keep it in the background while it's running and never have to look at it.

diezdiazgiant's would you be able to show me an example of the kind of chopping you were talking about. Also I just recently discovered how to make loops and export them,m very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    diezdiazgiant's would you be able to show me an example of the kind of chopping you were talking about. Also I just recently discovered how to make loops and export them,m very helpful.
    yeah, i just took a look at youtube and there are so many mpc videos of varying styles (and quality) - i just started my "weekend" at work i will see what i can do about throwing together a demo video on thursday. i dont have maschine, i use ableton, but again this is a pretty universal concept so it can be easily demonstrated with a single track in ableton with drum racks

I'd also take a look at The Glitch Mob if you're interested in this style of mashups as well. I have to say one of the most impressive live performances I've seen.

Tech Guru

damn... reminds me of seeing him in nasheville a couple years back. So many of us got on the stage to rock out with him.... it collapsed.

Oops

He is a force of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    would you be able to show me an example of the kind of chopping you were talking about
    Ean recently did an article on MPC's their are loads of links to videos in the comments. http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/03/04/live_controller_juggle-mpc-madness/
    Live 8 / X-session Pro / KP3 / SCS.3D / Launch Pad / Pacemaker

And a large pile of custom diy midi controllers

not quite a video, im too retarded to bother with learning how to make this screen cap software sync with the audio but heres a quick walk thru with some illustration that should clear up what im saying

again this is done in ableton but this is something thats really universal with any sampler drum machine thats got a half way decent sequencer. on the korg electribes its called "pattern set" on mpcs its "next seq" but you want to turn your patterns into cue points. for those that dont know now you know; this is beat indexing...

1. we start off with a simple recording, for this demonstration its my drunk ass saying "one two three four" into my lappys microphone.
    here we have our raw file:

2. slice your raw file to its base components and map them across a key range

3. now what alot of people will do when they slice - is they program the beat in one pattern. the function in this comes from making a bunch of small patterns that are the length of the slice divisions.

each pattern is just ONE note

here we see our 4 patterns in drum racks (ignore the audio channel thats just what i used to chop our phrase)

4. finally this part depends on what youre sequencing with, (i doubt maschine would exclude this as a feature but having not used it i cant say for sure) but on ableton you set clip launch so that if you trigger clip one, after clip 1 is done playing it goes to 2, 3, 4 and then it auto repeats.

advantages of this:
    - effect tempo with no pitch adjustment
    - pitch can be altered without effecting tempo
    - keys assigned to pattern launch act like cue points
    - completely scramble the fuck out of a sequence
    - if youve got something like a launchpad and doing this in ableton you get some kick ass visual representation

disadvantages:
    - only works with sparse arrangements
    - can be time consuming to set up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast