Connection help

Thread: Connection help

Tech Mentor

Default Connection help

What is the best way to connect from my Soundcard (DJ IO - stereo RCA output) to the XLR connections on the back of two powered speakers?

I realise that there are cords that make the connection but that means I would be connecting unbalanced to balanced which bad....

Also a DI box? Which is the best for this kind of thing? and apparently its bad to connect a soundcard to a DI box then to speakers....

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If it's a left and right connection in the amp I'd just use the connectors. It's always worked for me.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

hmm yeah thats how i do it when im running an amp, but powered speakers dont use an amp, they only have balanced XLR inputs

Tech Guru

Just use RCA's to XLR man, you'll be fine. Don't sweat it. If you're that worried get some decent well insulated cables, also plug your speakers into an independent plug socket (don't use socket doublers and run other gear off the same socket). Just plug em in and have a listen, if there's interference or horrible humming then you might wanna rethink your set up but I highly doubt there will be.
    Also, not having balanced cables on your speakers won't make any difference to your final mix so I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

And what do you want a D.I box for anyway?