need another xy pad, but don't want a whole second nanopad, suggestions?

Default need another xy pad, but don't want a whole second nanopad, suggestions?

so i've had this great thought hit me this morning.... 4 WAY CROSSFADER!!

figured that if horizontal controls normal x-fade, and vertical controls volume faders (with c and d inverted against a and b), sticking with normal left/right assignments in traktor, you would have single finger control over the balance between all decks.

now the obvious thing to do is use the x/y on my nanopad, but all 4 scenes of that are taken up by effects control and don't fancy putting down a modifier for it (mainly i have no more spare buttons to create a 6th mod, actually there is one...).

but eventually i'd like to rewire an xy in place of the normal x-fade (still considering all the praticalities of this). but assuming this went ahead, can anyone recommend another source of xy joy that could also be wired in place of the x-fade and possibly how this work? (putting aside space issues for now - still in the theory stages)

from a use point of view, as the 'all' option would be in the middle all the decks would be at half volume, so some sort of master volume control on there might correct that... otherwise right now it's not so much a 4 channel x-fade, more 8 in one;
    a-b, top line left/right
    a-c, far left up/down
    c-d, bottom line, left/right
    d-b, far right up/down

which still has uses, but not as good
    Last edited by BradCee; 04-08-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Something like Cirque Smart Cat - 4-btn Touchpad might work if you can set it to not act as a mouse, and use the incoming data routed into a different source.

There are a lot of touchpad's out there. And honestly, it might just be an interesting idea to butcher a nanopad and see if you can just use the touchpad and not the full board.

The only issue I see with the idea is if you want C and B playing, or A and D. That would lead to some interesting work if you had other tracks playing on the other decks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    The only issue I see with the idea is if you want C and B playing, or A and D. That would lead to some interesting work if you had other tracks playing on the other decks.
    yes, have considered this, and the answer is either 'tough poo' run your pairs as a&c and b&d

or even better a 'reverse button' that 'just' inverts the faders, or going back to nanopads, x-fade assignment buttons, so you can change which side of the square each deck is on, which would leave the fader mapping as it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    There are a lot of touchpad's out there. And honestly, it might just be an interesting idea to butcher a nanopad and see if you can just use the touchpad and not the full board.
    nice thought.... but now i think it may need the buttons.... this will get very complicated before it gets simple...

SoundCloud

thought of this (needs 4 mods to work though...)

button mappings first
    top line assign [left to right]
    mod 1 = 0
    mod 2 = 0
    mod 3 = 0
    mod 4 = 0

bottom line assign [left to right]
    mod 1 = 1
    mod 2 = 1
    mod 3 = 1
    mod 4 = 1

all the buttons would be on toggle/direct, instead of hold, so hitting the opposing button changes the mod state for each deck

touch pad
    left/right = crossfader
    up/down
    deck a, volume fader, mod 1 = 0
    deck a, volume fader, invert, mod 1 = 1
    deck b, volume fader, mod 2 = 0
    deck b, volume fader, invert, mod 2 = 1
    deck c, volume fader, mod 3 = 0
    deck c, volume fader, invert, mod 3 = 1
    deck d, volume fader, mod 4 = 0
    deck d, volume fader, invert, mod 4 = 1

admittedly this is stupidly complicated, but allows for full flexibility. haven't thought of a way of controlling master to make up for volume drop at centre of pad with this yet.

SoundCloud