Program drums for me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Program drums for me

So drums are probably my weak point. I get bored with programming them. Working on them generally just bores me. Anyone fancy giving me some drum tracks?

Peace
    Last edited by dodge; 04-11-2010 at 04:18 PM.

as a drummer, i would love to.

what style are you looking for?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Ive always wanted someone to do this. Maybe lay down some midi patterns that i could then put my own instruments to. Tribal techno with bongos was the feel i was always trying to achieve but gave up as everything always started to sound worse the more i added
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Yeah I have a drum issue myself. Trying to work out a team effort with one of my buddies, but it's difficult using different DAW's. I guess it's just practice and messing around more.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Hint for drums: 1001 Drum Grooves by Steve Mansfield

This is a book I worked with while taking some drum lessons, it gives you an idea for some basic grooves. Drum music is basically ready for midi/drum machine programming so its easy to draw into a DAW. You can always take the bass drum feel and put it to some toms or congas to build up over a basic four-on-the-floor bass.

Another great resource is a drum staple: Syncopation for the Modern Drummer by Ted Reed. It is as old as the hills but used by most. It is ride/bass but again mix the ride or bass stuff onto different elements and you get some nice beats.

Borrow from the best, the motto of house!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Mentor

I think its my lack of drum programming ability that stops me making music. I like to start with the drums so I have a solid background to work with, and then build on from there, but if I cant get the drums right I just give up.
    I once spent 8 hours crafting a 4 bar loop only to delete it the next day because it sounded shit.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    as a drummer, i would love to.

what style are you looking for?
    Anything really. Dance music as a whole, so house, breaks, DnB, Dubstep. Anything, just so long as it's original material I am working with so I don't get bored with the track due to knowing in the back of my mind that drums aren't borrowed from somewhere any old shmoe could get them from. Ideally breaks though, but what ever.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve81 View Post
    I think its my lack of drum programming ability that stops me making music. I like to start with the drums so I have a solid background to work with, and then build on from there, but if I cant get the drums right I just give up.
    I once spent 8 hours crafting a 4 bar loop only to delete it the next day because it sounded shit.
    My problem exactly. Thing to do is though (I know I should take a leaf from my own book here and actually apply myself), you should try making loads of your own drum breaks/loops. Don't try and build a whole tune from scratch, spend like 4-5 days just purely making your own drum loops that are totally original and save them in a folder. Then once you have your own library of drums instead of starting a track with the drums, start with finding a sample or creating a melody. Once you have an idea you are happy with you will find you can just drop your drums into the track and you can spend more time being creative and getting on as opposed to always having the drums bog you down.
    Even if you don't sit & make your own drums for a few days, try starting with something other than the drums, chop up samples or make a bass line etc. You'll find it more fun that way.

Tech Mentor

drum loops are super simple.
    kicker on beats 1,2,3,4
    open hihat on the offbeats
    clap/snare on 2 and 4
    throw in a shaker the 16th notes and there is your 1 bar loop.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    drum loops are super simple.
    kicker on beats 1,2,3,4
    open hihat on the offbeats
    clap/snare on 2 and 4
    throw in a shaker the 16th notes and there is your 1 bar loop.
    We don't all want to make house though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast