Mac Vs Windows Am I making a Mistake???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mac Vs Windows Am I making a Mistake???

Hi Everyone,

I currently use a Dell core 2 duo 1.66GHz, 3 gig memory and 17" Crystalview lcd as my DJ laptop.

Tomorrow I must pickup the Macbook A1181 with some upgrades to it.
    2 Gig CPU, 2 gig Memory, 160 gig HDD 13.1" LCD.

AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING???
    This is a second hand Macbook in very good condition.

My setup is BCD3000 and traktor Pro 1.23

the 13.1" LCD worries me big time.
    PLease let me know what you guys think before I buy this.

Thank you
    DJ Stone (SA)

I have been using a Macbook Pro 13" unibody for about 5 months now and I have no issues at all with the screen size. I like its compactness.

i think it makes more sense to upgrade ur controller/soundcard first, that laptop is plently powerful, just awkward with that big screen
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Thanks guys,
    I feel better.
    Charo, I just bought the damn bcd3000 end december2009. Only got it in January.
    I would love to go to the VCI100 or something but finances are tight.
    I thought doing the laptop 1st as it is available.

I'll place an ad out for the bcd3000 this week.

What do you recommend I get as controller?

Thanks guys

Tech Guru

I did exactly the same switch. I had to borrow a friends Dell (same model as yours) as my old PC piece of crap died on me. the Dell did the job fine don't get me wrong, but the Mac definitely is a lot smoother. My mate had all kinds of problems with his Dell due to the internet settings giving him drop outs and stuff, so every time he uses Traktor he has to turn it off, long!! My mac never has that problem. I always turn the internet off at gigs (a lot easier to do than with a PC), but at home I can have the internet open, itunes, traktor, hell what ever I want, and never get drop outs.
    Also I got nothing against PCs but I just hate windows, OSX in my opinion is by far a superior operating system.

Thanks guys,
    Dodge, I think you just had the final say in this.
    I'm getting it today.
    It's second hand but in good nic.
    Price in my money is R5000.00, I think thats about 650US.
    They are very expensive this side.

ONLY WORRY I HAVE THOUGH????
    Getting used to the new MAC OS Drivers and getting it setup with all my stuff.
    Only Worry!

Thanks guys

Defo the right move. Once you go Mac you will not look back. That machine spec you are getting is plenty good enough :-)

Depending on how cheap you're getting it, i'd consider trying to get a new Macbook Pro for a few extra 100s but I understand if budget is an issue.

Those Macbook A1181 will still piss on a Dell for stability etc :-)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Its a breeze.

Had mine for about 2 months now....

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

Got my Macbook 13" black 2.4, 4gig crucial ram. Mint condidtion used for £550! Touch!

Don't worry all your shit will work fine. plus you got the added bonus of discovering all the new nifty things you can do with OSX.... 2 finger scrolling, stacks, genie effect on your dock, screen zooming.... I need to go jack off while playing with photo booth now.

i guess i'm not surprised everyone is going gaga for apple when to me at least the weakest link in the chain here is the bcd, and thus should be replaced first.

invest the money in new controller/soundcard and if anything, create a new partition with a striped windows OS optimized for running audio, and i bet it will almost feel like you got a new computer as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast