Effectrix Tutorial for using with Live Performance.traktor/ableton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Effectrix Tutorial for using with Live Performance.traktor/ableton

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOyhDAEhLkA[/YOUTUBE]

i've been looking at getting this VST for a while. nice find!

Personally, i like to have a maximum of 1 program running at a time on my laptop, just to evade conflicts between different programs. So imagine this:

1 Laptop with Traktor + Audio4DJ soundcard. 2 channels out going to second Audio4dj soundcard In-ports which is connected to a second laptop running Ableton + this plugin (+padcontroller). From there it uses the audio-outs on the second Audio4Dj to go into the mixer. From there i'm able to mix the 2 channels.

Would this be possible?

wow.. this is amazing stuff.. your tutorials are really great.

one thing i dont get is why you're using the dummy clips. is it just to do the effects with the pad instead of the keyboard?

does traktor and ableton play well together on one maschine? got only a black macbook with 2gigs ram and i'm thinking about doing some of this stuff (maybe even combining it with the artillery from your other tut) on a live gig in late may..

thanks for your help and again for this great work.. keep it up, i'm really diggin' this traktor/ableton stuff..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Mentor

Whyte.

I've used this setup live for about 2 hours straight. running on an audio 8 dj with a macbook pro that is 3.5 years old. 3 gb ram.

And it's run flawless. Effectrix is very light. Almost creepy light, it uses very little cpu. Glitch mob connects 3 lemurs, 3 alesis drum controllers, effectrix, and their entire set on one macbook pro.

But I think what you are describing with the routing will work as well. I usually do all of the internal routing with soundflower or IAC and then run a master out through the audio 8.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post

one thing i dont get is why you're using the dummy clips. is it just to do the effects with the pad instead of the keyboard?

does traktor and ableton play well together on one maschine? got only a black macbook with 2gigs ram and i'm thinking about doing some of this stuff (maybe even combining it with the artillery from your other tut) on a live gig in late may..

thanks for your help and again for this great work.. keep it up, i'm really diggin' this traktor/ableton stuff..
    Yeah they do. Traktor uses very little cpu and if all you are doing is using effectrix or artillery ableton will run uber smooth as well. see my post above on how the glitch mob has a ton of crap on one computer. I only have 3 gb of ram, so you'll be fine. Just test it out at home before hitting the bars or parties with it. Just to be sure.

Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to get a mix of that gig. Best of luck with the setup, it's pretty smooth though.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post

The reason for the dummy clips is if you have a midi controller like the APC40 that doesn't send out midi notes it sends out midi cc, you can use a row of buttons to act like a typical midi keyboard. It gives you a lot of flexiablity to do it this way.

Also remember that if you launch the dummy clips you can put follow actions on them and come up with some really creative effect sequences.

The reason i asked would be because i want to be able to do the effects on seperate decks rather then only the master.

Is there any way to route this inside a laptop? So left and right deck of traktor are seperated. I guess so... Would be impossible to control with a VCI in that case though :/

Tech Mentor

Yeah. it gets sketchy when you want independent channels, I've never routed it that way. I'm sure it's possible. But honestly these effects are meant to be small cherries on top, not to be used fully through-out a set. More of a texture really. So I don't mind putting them on the master. If you figure it out, please post results.

The fact that they're the cherries on top and should not be fully used through out a set is exactly the reason i'd want to be able to use it on seperate decks. That would make you able to use the effects more subtlely and more as an adition to the music, rather than a change to the whole sound (which does come in handy sometimes though ).

I'll definately post results if i end up making this workable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast