hooking active speaker monitors to a logitech z-5500
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hooking active speaker monitors to a logitech z-5500

I was wondering if any of you know if it is possible to somehow hook up two active monitors to the Logitech z-5500 subwoofer.

I was wondering if I could hook one up to the left output and the other to the right output, this would be a half decent 2.1 setup for house parties. I mean it IS a 10" subwoofer.

thanks for the answers in advance.

-BMO
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Guru

um, as far as I know, those outputs are feeding hot signal, as in, amplified sound. You do not want to hook your monitors up to this. If anything, I would just split the source before the sub, feed 1 to sub, and the other side to the first monitor, then daisy chain them in parallel.

sorry if I sound ignorant, but what would happen if I soldered the ends at the end into say a 1/4" adapter into a powered speaker? Would I see some fireworks? I don't know much about speakers and amps. The reason I want to know, is because I only have an Audio 2 dj, so one output is for my master sound, and the only other output is used for pre-cueing, and my experience with splitting an output has led me to believe in poor sound quality.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Guru

what type of powered monitors do you have? "splitting" the signal can be as easy as goin from audio 2 to monitor 1, running a cable between monitor 1 and 2, and then running a cable between monitor 2 to the input of the sub. That sub should hve a passive crossover, so that wouldnt be too big of a deal

I was thinking of purchasing some Tapco Thumps 15". The subwoofer in question is a PC subwoofer, and its inputs are handled by a volume controller that connects directly to the subwoofer. So if I input from monitor 2, it would go through this pod, which would then relay it through the sub. Would this still work? or would there be delays between the speakers?

thanks for the help.
    My Mixcloud Page!

Tech Guru

Tapco thumps, good powered pa.

In all honesty, I think you might find that the 10" sub is not necessary with those powered monitors. For fullrange cabs, they have decent low end (nothing on real sub setups, but good for house parties).

Basically, you would run a TRS (1/4 inch) to xlr from your audio 2 to the IN on the tapco 15. Then you would run an XLR cable from the first tapco to the 2nd. Then you would run another XLR to 1/4 (you may need an adapter to get down to 1/8, depending on the way that sub is set up) from the 2nd tapco, to your sub. you shouldnt experience any noticeable delay.

However, since both the 10" sub, and the tapcos will be producing low frequencies, you may experience phase issues (they will cancel each other out at some frequencies). This is pretty difficult to avoid when mixing different drivers for the same frequency band.

I think you might find the tapco 15s acceptable by themselves.

ok thank you very much, you were very helpful

I'll probably purchase the tapco thumps and test them out with the sub, if I notice some phase issues I guess i'll stick solely to the thumps.

cheers,
    -BMO
    My Mixcloud Page!

Tech Guru

No problem man.

If you dont mind me asking, what type of music are you looking to play? How big is the space you are going to be playing in, and ~ how many people do you think will be there?

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    No problem man.

If you dont mind me asking, what type of music are you looking to play? How big is the space you are going to be playing in, and ~ how many people do you think will be there?
    I would be playing a variety of music, but mostly electro/ trance/ house, The room I would be playing in is an L shape and would be roughly (I don't know exactly the measurements) be 9m long and 6m wide in one part and 7m by 5m in the other. The amount of people that would be there could range anywhere from 50 to 150, since I also have multiple floors in the house.
    My Mixcloud Page!

Tech Guru

gotcha. You should have pretty good results with the tapcos. If you were looking to play something like Dubstep or DnB, I would recomend spending more money on something with a little more bass support.

I cant tell you exactly how things will go in that space, but I think it should be pretty decent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast