Any Mac experts around here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Any Mac experts around here?

So I could use some help. I've held out on switching to Mac for the updated MBPs. Since this will be a dedicated Traktor machine I'm looking for guidance on how to customize & future-proof it.

1. Specifically, is 8 gigs RAM overkill for Traktor, and how easy/cheap would it be to upgrade in the future?
    2. How does the Hi-Res 15" display handle 4 deck view compared to 17"? Screenshots anyone?
    3. Does glossy or Anti-glare have the advantage for a DJ?
    4. Is the new 512 SSD worth the hefty price tag?
    5. And lastly, if they come out with USB 3.0 on the next model, how easy will it be to update my existing ports?

Please, please! Any advice could really help alot of us to spend our money wisely! Thanks in advance!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

1. Yes. Traktor is not a 64 bit app so anything over 3 gig isnt used. Get 4 gig and save some money.
    2. 15" is perfect. You can see everything on screen that you need and it isnt as big and cumbersome in the booth as a 17" Also theres more choice of bags for the 15". I think 17" is too large in the booth, it gets in the way.
    3. Yes. I hate glossy screens. If this is a Traktor machine forget the glossy screen because the glare is not good. If you wanna look at the family photos or pr0n then maybe a glossy is important.
    4. No not at all. Traktor wont make any better use of SSD that you will "notice". Its too expensive at the moment.
    5. No USB 3.0 yet and it wont make much difference anyway cus your devices wont be USB 3.0 for sometime.

Jus my 2p. Should be some alternative views along very soon.

Tech Mentor

Hi I am not a mac expert but have had a shit load of computers some self built and a whole load of laptops of all dif sizes ect currently on a mac

1. Yes abit overkill just for Traktor and stupid money to get it from apple upgrading in the future is pretty easy all you have to do is pop the bottom off the lappy its pretty easy to access if you know how to use a screwdriver.

2. I have had a dell 15" with a 1600 x 1000 display before my current 13" mac has 1200 x 800 I find that fine tbh. All you have to remember is basically the higher res on a smaller screen just means smaller text ect you have the same screen real estate all depends on your eye site.

3. New macs are like mirrors it does not bother me at all though all personal pref rem you can get screen protectors that will give you a similar result to the matt screen option.

4.No wait another year or so plus rem that with ssd if you fill the drive up it will run slower than advertised current 7k 500g are fine

5.Cant help on that one but if your getting a laptop esp a mac upgrading ports means a whole new logic board Not worth it !!! mind you usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 have the same port maybe you can do it in the software

Hope some of that helps

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by mest42085 View Post
    So I could use some help. I've held out on switching to Mac for the updated MBPs. Since this will be a dedicated Traktor machine I'm looking for guidance on how to customize & future-proof it.

1. Specifically, is 8 gigs RAM overkill for Traktor, and how easy/cheap would it be to upgrade in the future?
    2. How does the Hi-Res 15" display handle 4 deck view compared to 17"? Screenshots anyone?
    3. Does glossy or Anti-glare have the advantage for a DJ?
    4. Is the new 512 SSD worth the hefty price tag?
    5. And lastly, if they come out with USB 3.0 on the next model, how easy will it be to update my existing ports?

Please, please! Any advice could really help alot of us to spend our money wisely! Thanks in advance!
    Hey mest42085,

While I'm not a Traktor user myself (Serato boy here!), I'll try answer your questions as best I can from an Apple-user perspective:

1) Traktor's system requirements state 1GB of RAM. Since the new MBPs come with 4GB, I would say that is more than enough for you. While there's no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to RAM (just ask any geek!), I'm more than confident that you'll be just fine with the 4GB.

2) I can't comment specifically on this, but I can say that I have seen it on an older-generation 15" and while it definitely takes more space (and some getting used to), I think you'll be just fine. If you can afford the 17" and don't mind the extra heftiness (I find it to be a huge machine, personally) you can definitely move up to it.

3) I've got a glossy 13" MBP and I've never had a problem with it. It really is a matter of personal preference. I've played parties with the glossy (and with my older 12" PowerBook that had a matte screen) and can honestly say I don't notice a difference. It's not to say there isn't a difference, but when you're in the groove you really don't think about it.

4) Honestly... wait for them to drop in price. You can always upgrade later. Upgrading the HD and RAM is fairly simple. Unscrew the bottom case and you can swap the HD and RAM pretty quickly.

5) I'm gonna go out and say that it will be next to impossible to do this yourself. Short of replacing the logic board (motherboard), it can't be done. I think USB 2.0 will be more than sufficient for some time still.

Hope that helps.
    -f

Tech Mentor

OMFG !

512GB Solid State Drive [+ £1,040.00

NO !!!! :eek:

Tech Mentor

Mods please change my name to thread killer

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Totally agree about ssd..!

Tech Convert

Ok so it seems that the conensus is that paying the extra money for the SSD and 8 gigs of RAM is over kill and easliy (and less expensively) upgraded in the future. So now my main issue now is 15" or 17" There's a link I found of the 17" running 4 decks in Traktor here -

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...6&d=1238689216

This looks sick. Another advantage is the 3 USB ports, as I currently have 4 and cutting that in half leaves none extra. (i have an A8DJ and X1.) I have no experience with hubs and frankly the idea bothers me. The only disadvantage I see with the 17" is the size.

I'd love to see a Traktor screenshot of the hi-res 15" display and any input on the 2 vs 3 usb port issue.
    Last edited by mest42085; 04-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Tech Mentor

Get your ass to the local Apple Store to see the difference with your own eyes

About the USB-ports-thing, live with it, a powered HUB will do the trick.

Default My Response

What everyone is saying is pretty much true, but here's my thoughts... Get an anti-glare screen, definitely worth it. Also, instead of getting a 512 SSD for a limb just get a 1TB standard drive for half the price, although you'll have to do it elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast