You should read a DJ-book
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default You should read a DJ-book

Hey DJTToollers!

Have you been tired of read the same DJTT Tech Artcile over and over again?
    Do you know all the blog posts backwards?
    Do you talk together with Ean when you are seeing his videos?

Maybe you should expand the horizons of your knowlage.

If you are a still a bedroom DJ and don't have cash to buy your stuff yet because you are still on the school or because you live in a foreign country with high import fees ( hey Brazilian mates! ) you should do something until you can invest some money into equipment and training.

You should read a book!
    It's a inexpensive way (the DJ books are really cheap) to learn some fundations before your real experience in the world of DJing.

Here I will post the DJ-related books that I own and some personal reviews of each one that I alredy read:

"How to DJ Right - The art and science of playing records"
    by Frank Broughton and Bill Brewster - April, 2003
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957[/ame]

Review: I'm currently at the middle part of the book and I'm really enjoying the reading.
    It's a book from 2002/2003 so you can expect a lot of old subjects. It's covering well my technical curiosity about Vinyl DJing and old school beatmatching as I've never been in front of a Technics 1200 turntable. They use a lot of pictures so it's a really easy reading for those people who don't read a lot.
    Before the technical beatmatching chapters there are some talk about what is a DJ and some aspects of the DJ professional of 2002 that is really interesting to know to understand how the DJ changed from that time until now.

"Traktor Bible, Second Edition"
    by Rainer G. Haselier - 2008-2010
    http://www.traktorbible.com/en/traktorbible.aspx
    Review: I've stopped to read this book (at the Digital Vinyl System part) because I was completelly stressed by my work but I will return to it as soon as I finish the "How to DJ Right". This way I will understand the DVS chapter better. It's a heavy reading book and it's suposed to be readed for those who are really enjoying the Traktor possibilities and want to explore them to the max. It has a very good and technical midi chapter for those who know that midi exists but don't know how it works.

"Last Night a DJ Saved My Live"
    by Frank Broughton and Bill Brewster - July, 2000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Ni..._My_Life_(book)
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Last-Night-DJ-Saved-Life/dp/0802136885[/ame]

Review: Not started yet

"DJing for Dummies"
    by John Steventon - January, 2007
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/DJing-Dummies-John-Steventon/dp/0470032758[/ame]

Review: Not started yet
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 04-16-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Tech Convert

+ 1 on books.

I'd also recommend How to DJ Properly: The Art and Sience of Playing records. I think its from 2006 so probably a slightly changed version of V-Hoff's "How to DJ Right - The art and science of playing records". Its structured in several 'how to' sections and is an enjoyable read. I'd thoroughly recommend the book to beginners especially. Predominently aimed at vinyl dj's but theres still lot there for people interested in digital djing too.

Tech Mentor

HMMMM !

yes books are all good as its knowledge

BUT

with mixing its a thing that only YOU can figure out

NOBODY ELSE

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    HMMMM !

yes books are all good as its knowledge

BUT

with mixing its a thing that only YOU can figure out

NOBODY ELSE
    Yes I'd totally agree that its extremely important to develop your own style but also think that learning the theory of beatmatching, harmonic mixing etc. is worthwhile and can actually help someone to develop their own style.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Company View Post
    Yes I'd totally agree that its extremely important to develop your own style but also think that learning the theory of beatmatching, harmonic mixing etc. is worthwhile and can actually help someone to develop their own style.

Yes your right tbh any sort of input is good to touch base on

read the books / web ages get knowledge

the rest is in your Soul

Art and Science of Playing Records... Great read and the book that told me it was possible :-)
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Tech Guru

Post structured reviews so we can build a nice pack of them.

Later we can ask for Ean to post our reviews at a blog post, what do you think about it Ean?
    A DJTT post made by the DJTT community in colaboration.

Tech Guru

Rad, man. I've never seen anyone ever mention "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life". When you get started, you're gonna love that book. It is Really informative, totally engrossing, at least for a DJ culture junkie like me. They take you from the dawn of "listening parties" with the gramophone, through rare groove juke joints, disco, the birth of Chicago House, Detroit Techno, the export to the UK and subsequent rave explosion in the early 90's... it's like a history book but totally fascinating. It has a focus on Disco/House, and is probably a little dated at this point, but that's ok, cause they cover the subject very well. You won't believe how many old school heroes they manage to interview, and get crazy-ass stories from. And when you're done, you'll feel really well schooled, lol!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

DJ-ing for dummies is still one of my favorite reads.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I've got a long list in my Amazon cart now. I love reading, it's another hobby of mine, and so this should take me somewhat away from the computer for a bit.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast