I swear traktor has the bpm wrong on this one...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Default I swear traktor has the bpm wrong on this one...

So, Traktor Pro has found the bpm on My World by Noisia ft. Giovanca to be somewhere around 96-97bpm which doubled was like 193... now most drum & bass usually comes in around 170-180 bpm and listening to it there is no way the drum beat is THAT much faster, also when I slow it down and try to mix it with something else it is clear that the bpm on My World is just plain wrong...
    Anybody else had this problem with the tune?
    Any advice on remedying this? Should I try tapping in the beat (I'm not sure how good traktor is on that)?
    Also tried re-gridding it which did nothing.

Thanks.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Manually Setting your Beat Grids will Insure that your mixes will be in beat. If you don't know how to do it manually, just google How to Manually Set a Beat Grid in Trakotr, and youll find a great post on NI boards describing how to do it. (sorry I cant give the link im doin homework and dont feel like looking it up atm)
    Peace.Love.Unity.Respect for all dj's regardless of digital or analog

VCI100SE/Traktor Pro/G71GX-RX05 With Windows 7
    Liquid Drum & Bass is my passion

Ean did a great video on this....
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAW8X9RSt7A[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    Should I try tapping in the beat (I'm not sure how good traktor is on that)?
    it's as good as you tap.

delete the grid marker, set a new one right on the down beat then tap it.

or

take a tack you know is spot on, and manual match that to this track, and whatever the result is, set that as the bpm for noisia track.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Hopefully the track doesn't speed up
    If you really can't grid the heck out of that track, you could always load it in Ableton and start warping it. For me the process is different enough that it can bring a fresh outlook on how things are going.
    There was a track with a .somethingweird bpm I just couldn't grid after minutes, and it took seconds in Ableton to figure it out.

edit : just to clarify, this is without bouncing the track once it's warped. Just set some markers really tight and see the reported tempo for that segment - if it's pretty much spot on from marker to marker, you have a good idea what to input in traktor

Drop the grid marker on the first obvious beat, open up the grid window and hit auto.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Sorry, I totally forgot about this post...
    Str8up: I've seen that vid, some pretty useful stuff, I'm a total noob when it comes to beat gridding lol, Traktor get's it right most of the time so I kinda came to rely on it but this is the first time it was REALLY off...
    Either way I got it sorted out, good learning experience. Dropped the grid marker on the first beat that was obvious (thanks Jester) then just fiddled with the BPM 'til it worked out, which oddly enough was around what I thought it would be, a flat 172.000.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

NEVER rely on autogridding

If you think Traktor gets it right "most of the time" then your ears are not trained properly as Traktor actually gets it wrong most of the time even with the most simple of tracks.

While with alot of music it can nail the BPM pretty well and lay down somewhat of a decent grid, most of the time the phase of the autogrid marker is off so you need to nudge it into place.

This is where learning to beatmatch pays off, you train your ears to hear these things.

I was referring to BPM more than the beat grids but I'll have to review the tracks in my collection to ensure that grids and BPM are solid then, thanks for the advice Bento.
    It'll take some time but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I've done a couple of tunes with Noisia (awhile ago now though!) - they pretty much write at 172.00bpm for all their dnb stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast