Concerning wires, in general... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Interesting discussion....

Slateraptor - Im guessing from your comments you study physics....but have not actually worked in electronic engineering?

Tech Mentor

Some people buy from DJTT to support DJTT, others buy from ebay etc. I do not see what the big deal is.

Some people will pay a premium to support the little guy.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    Interesting discussion....

Slateraptor - Im guessing from your comments you study physics....but have not actually worked in electronic engineering?
    i'm a 4th year electrical engineering student primarily focused on signals and sys, nonlinear controls, and micro-p apps (fpga dev in reconfig computing specifically).

care to contribute on a technical level? everyone else appears to be relying on you.

p.s. i'm really more interested in the exact ferrites used; i can crunch the numbers and analyze from there.

p.p.s. notice you're from NZ. familiar w/ mt eden? i really like his work. =P
    Last edited by slateraptor; 04-21-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by TABS View Post
    Some people buy from DJTT to support DJTT, others buy from ebay etc. I do not see what the big deal is.
    this is about the claims made about the djtt usb cable being misleading, exaggerated, and being no more ethical (with respect to this one particular item) than the practices of certain companies described by mr. russell of mcintosh labs in the link provided.

i meant no disrespect with my post, just wanted to throw that out there. you see this matter in a technical light, i see it as more of simple matter. it's just a usb cable, i don't believe in inspecting matters like this with an electron microscope. i could see your case if the cable was ridiculously overpriced, but personally i don't believe that to be the case.

in the end, the djtt shop is a business, and i think if we were getting ripped off someone would have said something already. fact is they're offering a customized solution to problems some digital djs face, i applaud them for offering this service to the public, rather than just making them for personal use and letting the rest fend for themselves, or not at all - two other avenues that would have been MUCH easier to do than to start shipping a whole new custom product.

i hope you stick around here, because we need people like you.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

This thread seems way to passive aggressive for the DJ TT......

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

slateraptor

Im not going to bother discussing the cost of our cable but I will point out that it does include free shipping world wide.

Im not really sure what to make of your discourse as you start by announcing you want to disagree with Bentos statement that the only real point of difference between the DJTT tech tools cable and many others is the ferrites,
    however you go on to discuss absolutley everything you dislike about the reasoning behind the design of the cable and its marketing.

You obviously went and did a bit of research to find supporting evidence of your suspicions(a little convoluted dont you think?). The basis of your aguement at this stage seems to be that the ferrite will attenuate the relavent bandwidth enough to affect normal operation of the cable, we could discuss this, however judging by your comment further down the thread you managed to think of a reason why at least a single ferrite near the device end of the cable could be of use which leads me to believe that you can accept the cable can function normally with the addition of the correct ferrite.

The reasoning behind the inclusion of the ferrite is not to filter out noise within the relavant bandwith of data transmission (yes we rely of the standard spec'd shielding to do that) but to block transients.

The reasoning behind the inclusion of two is to block EFTs from both the slave & host device

Transients are low energy high voltage spikes, proper power supply filtering design will prevent these from entering a circuit through its power supply, however these will readily couple from cable to cable in the snake pit situation going on in most DJ boths. The issue with these spikes is not so much the interuption of communication (they are typically only uS's in length) but their ability to cause unexpected behavoir in an electronic circuit which has not been designed to be resiliant to such interferance.

All USB midi/Audio DJ products I have every opened and reverse engineered have been designed as mass market consumer devices - from an electronic perspective designed just for use in the home, I have never even found one which has a TVS on the USB circuit...for the industrial products I design at my day job this is just the most basic and standard precaution from an EM immunity perspective.

The issue with this is that in reality for many users these pieces of equipment are mission critical devices - failure could mean loss of income.

While many only ever use these devices in the home - you average DJ booth electronically has more in common with an industrial enviroment than the home/office enviroment USB was designed for.

In NZ the only consumer electronic devices requried to pass certified conducted & radiated immunity tests are Security & Weighing equipment

If it costs a company more to manfucture a device with better immunity (BOM, Design, & Testing) which all most no customer is going to look for specifically, and there are no legal requirements around it why would they?

In terms of the plating, gold plating of contacts in electrical connectors obviously has nothing to do with the mechanical strength or stiffness of gold, in USB connectors typically the signal contacts will be made from pressed brass and the shield contact from bronze, while both these alloys are relativley corrosion resistant they will both quickly form oxide layers
    on their outer surfaces.

To combat this tin,or gold plating is used. Tin is of course the cheapest and most common, it is used to plate virtually all electronic components, while it has good corrosion resistance in air it is not so great when in contact with salts and acids.

Gold however has great corrosion resitance, and because of its malleability it also has great durability compared to other corrosion resistant plating options.

Because of this I think you will find that it is the prefered plating for contacts for which reliability is important in all industries.

I also detest Monster cable and their use of "science" to prove why their cables are better than all others. But really is it that different to Nike trying to convince people to buy their $200 shoes when in reality a $20 pair will do them just fine?

I applaude your effort to (on the most part) actually provide solid backing to your arguement rather than some emotive rant about $20 USB cables and we definatley need & welcome people with your level of technical understanding round here.

If your handy with C you will find a thread on reverse compiling the VCI firmware (Fatlimey does not have the time), there is nothing much to learn from the electronics of the VCI.

MT Eden dubstep is a name that gets a rant out of a lot of people in the dubstep scene here in NZ. Sierra Leone is a great tune (check out the original though - that is where the real music is) and appears to be the most viewed track of its genre (probably most genres) on youtube (5M hits), however they dont actually make any original music, just lots of remixes of allready popular & well written tunes, so I guess the bitching all comes from the "pay you dues" mentality inherent in so many underground scenes.

They have just recently made it big and started getting booked for all the big festivals in NZ, however as neither of them can really DJ, few promoters in the NZ dusbtep scene will touch them.

Any ways I better get back to finding how I can prevent my weighing system from glitching out when I magnetically couple 5kV into its ground plane, without cheating and putting ferrites on the cable

Tech Wizard

Walk in to your local big box electronic store and try to buy a cable with even most of the DJTT cable's specs. I had a cable go tits up on me right before a show. Walked in to Best Buy and to be sure I got a 2.0 standard cable with a ferrite on it I paid $30. Sure cheaper cables might be available online or elsewhere, but why risk it. $15 is cheap insurance. I now keep a couple spare cables with me just in case.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12