Who doesn't use Jog Wheels - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

I don't get it...Why can't you run 4 channels to control individually to the Xone 42 via usb?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

yes. it adds a certain sound quality. Just feels more precise and a bit more accurate. This is however on two studio monitors. Not sure if it will all sound the same once it blasting on a PA system. The sound is not THAT much of a difference - but at home where "I" hear it every day it was noticeable.

Ive read a few debates on the topic of external vs internal sound quality.

But, yeah the 42 and VCI are overkill together....i'll probably stick with the VCI and fix the map a few things to my current workflows. Its also a question of portability. What can I stick in a case, show up, plug two speakers and jam!

thanks

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    I don't get it...Why can't you run 4 channels to control individually to the Xone 42 via usb?
    i haven't tried it yet, but from what I read is that the line faders are not midi, so they need an actual line into each of them and need to be used externally - thus requiring a sound card.

I could be wrong....i'll have to read the manual, but my understanding is the USB is to play from one dedicated source/line, lets say an itunes player into that one line.

Just hand me my BCR + MIDIfighter and I gladly play 2 or 4 decks when and how I like/want/desire!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

well its not really the ability to play 2 or 4 decks.....its more with jog wheels being usefull when playing hip-hop. I enjoy playing open format - but lugging around TT 1200's suck, and CDJ's are too damn expensive. Im not a scratch king, but will baby scratch a song in and cut over. Or using the jog wheel to drop a cue point right on a word. Now, thru in being able to do this AND control 4 decks (I really only use 3 and the 4th is a sample dropper) --- well I cant find a good solution for this thats portable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

This might not be any use, but what about 2 VCI-100? Can't beat that one per channel control...

I can see you screaming NOOOOOOOOOO! Holding on to all your new hardware.

I've meaning to ask how you have been getting on with the 42, but I'll leave that for when you get sorted.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    i haven't tried it yet, but from what I read is that the line faders are not midi, so they need an actual line into each of them and need to be used externally - thus requiring a sound card.
    Hmm, interesting, I don't anything about it, but seems like a weird idea on their part...

If it doesn't work though, I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding your audio 8 to the Xone, as long as you're not overloading, and you like the sound.

I like jogs too. I like scratching, but honestly for me the main thing is that I don't like pushing buttons to nudge pitch around. It just feels better to turn a wheel. I'd totally dig having two VCI's if I could.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    This might not be any use, but what about 2 VCI-100? Can't beat that one per channel control...

I can see you screaming NOOOOOOOOOO! Holding on to all your new hardware.

I've meaning to ask how you have been getting on with the 42, but I'll leave that for when you get sorted.

Phil.

NOOOOO!!!! hahahahhhahaha

Dude, the 42 is awesome. It really is - the filters and eq's are so precise it makes transitions sound seamless.

Well with the X1's I can control 4 decks, and the rotarys can be used as volume controls so no really issues there. i don't need 4 jogs as I won't be scratching on all of them, and I use my 3rd and 4th deck to drop samples or keep a loop going. So I can make the VCI and X1's work.

The downside to that is - the jogwheels really weren't made for any time of scratching and the 42 is a better mixer. I really think i'm in no win situation - just have to figure out which set up works the best in my case without having to continue to buy more and more stuff.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Hmm, interesting, I don't anything about it, but seems like a weird idea on their part...

If it doesn't work though, I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding your audio 8 to the Xone, as long as you're not overloading, and you like the sound.

I like jogs too. I like scratching, but honestly for me the main thing is that I don't like pushing buttons to nudge pitch around. It just feels better to turn a wheel. I'd totally dig having two VCI's if I could.
    yeah thats another thing with just using X1's that the to control the pitch its a button that moves ever so slightly. So if your staying within the same bpm range all night your good. but if you are climbing up in BPM's its much faster to adjust the pitch with a slider than it is a button.

The X1's + Xone I think are awesome if your playing EDM all night.

the 1d would be a nice complement ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12