Who doesn't use Jog Wheels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Who doesn't use Jog Wheels

Who doesn't use jog wheels and what genre of music do you mostly play.

I recently started using a Xone 42 and two X1's and this is such an awesome set up, but only when I play EDM/House music. When I play open format I feel very limited with out any type of jog wheels. I have two technic 1200's but really I don't take those anywhere with me. Too heavy and too much to carry around. Had thought about adding some CDJ's but that could get expensive. Goal is to have a mobile set up with enough controls to use 4 decks, and effects banks in Traktor but still have some decent jog wheels. I thought the NS7 could be the answer - but aside from the no spinning platter support. It has its limitations as well. I thought perhaps the rotary knobs on the X1;s would cut it, but they don't.

I might just go back to using the VCI-100 and add the two X1's ---- but man, thats overkill on buttons and knobs =O

thoughts?

Tech Guru

anyone?

Monday morning bump.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    I might just go back to using the VCI-100 and add the two X1's ---- but man, thats overkill on buttons and knobs =O
    For 4 decks i'm not sure it is. VCI-100 for decks A + B and then an x1 for each other deck.

Pretty badass no?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    For 4 decks i'm not sure it is. VCI-100 for decks A + B and then an x1 for each other deck.

Pretty badass no?
    I messed around with it last night. I think Im going to map the rotary knobs for scrolling thru tracks on decks C+D as volumes. Control all 4 effects banks with X1's and then some sort of shift function to control EQ's for decks C+D. It really a ton overkill on buttons, but reduces the amount of "shift" functions. I need to get smart on mapping presets.

However, the sound quality coming from the Xone 42 is much better and crisper than the VCI. This is on two M-Audio 8 inch studio speakers and audio 8 card.

If there was a traktor controler that had jogs similar to the capabilities of the VCI300 and Itch, this could really workout. NI needs to make some updates!

Tech Guru

Add a stanton scs.3d instead of a big piece of hardware...
    It's a awesome complement or even standalone controller...

I DJ only with a Maudio oxygen 8 v2 but I will soon incorporate two Korg Nano Kontrols for mixing and FX session.
    So, no jogwheels for me...

And I play psytrance/electrohouse

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    However, the sound quality coming from the Xone 42 is much better and crisper than the VCI. This is on two M-Audio 8 inch studio speakers and audio 8 card.
    I'm confused... the vci-100 is a midi controller. no sound comes out of it.

Are you saying the sound is better using the Xone 42 rather than the audio 8?
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Audio 8 + Xone 42 vs. Audio 8 + VCI-100

The quality of the sound using the Xone is much better. The eq's are more responsive, so is the gain, it also has a volume control, and the added filters. However without the filters just EQ's and Gain - the quality of the sound is crisper and more controllable.

Tech Guru

You should say "external with the Xone 42" vs. "internal with no outboard mixer". The VCI doesn't have anything to do with the sound quality. It's just a midi controller. But out of curiosity, why are you using the Audio 8 plus the Xone? I thought that unit had a sound card built in...?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

^^ yes exactly. External vs Internal.

Its my understanding the internal sound card is only one channel. If I want control of 4 decks I need an Audio 8, plus I was using two channels timecode with TT 1200's.

You're saying that putting the sound from the audio 8 through the Xone 42 adds a certain quality to the sound.

I can sort of understand that... i think.

I'd have though the less "going through" devices the music was, the less effected and more true to the original production it would be...

I'm not disputing that to one's ears it sounds better, though it seems odd to me and perhaps slightly negligible.

I can understand that you would find the Xone 42 more tactile to use than the VCI.

What about VCI + Xone 42 + 2 x X1s then in external mode?

I mean that is a little more portable than the 2 x Turntables. Personally i'd say the xone is slight overkill but if you think it sounds better than fair enough :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast