Well I'm in the hole now.

Default Well I'm in the hole now.

Broke down and bought Ableton Suite 8. And Albino 3.

Going to take me a bit to work that one off, but I'm having a shitload of fun. I've been playing with the Demo of Ableton for awhile now, and really wanted to save stuff. God bless credit cards.

I know I could have bought a controller for the price of all this, but it's one of the reasons I've been holding off for so long. I wanted to make the right decision for myself, and I am really happy with choosing Ableton, even if I'm still just playing with the x-session.

And the Albino 3 just to top it off because I played around with the demo, and want to try and get to use the most praised synth out there. It's actually really intuitive we've I've had issues before with other ones, and so that's the most important thing.

Other than that, I've been doing more production style stuff rather than working with ableton as a DJing tool... just because I caught the old bug again. (Production brain seems to kick up with me every so often).

So I've been spending all day messing around. Here's a bit of a tune I'm working on:

Dirty Seeds (second edit... I'm about on the 5th now). Chill Dubstep track (since I haven't figured out how to really get filthy yet :P)

It's a "work in progress" and would love to hear feedback about it. I know it's not mastered well at all, and I need to work on my LFO skills. But I think it's sounding pretty good.

It's nice just being able to kick back and enjoy messing with things, and saving my progress. I used to use FL and I just never really liked the work flow of the program, although one of my other buddies swears by the program. I think I made the right long-term decision, and it's a great feeling.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

LOL. I know how you feel. Sometimes it feels you have a back hoe instead of a shovel for digging the hole!

Enjoy, Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

there's one thing that's for sure: you're going to appreciate ableton a hell of a lot more than a lot of users since it put you in such a financial spot i think. haven't had a chance to listen to the track yet, but all i needed to see was "dubstep" and i'm on it :P

good luck brother. bang it out till it's perfect!
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I'm really looking to get into a little bit of dubstep production myself but just don't have the resources to buy software right now...Is it ableton or albino that gets you the "wobble" bass lines?

Well to be honest it, the real definition of making the sound can be done with any Synth, it's just a matter of what makes the most sense for you personally.

I personally really like the Albino synth, and was watching a tutorial video/interview on Benga, and that's what he uses. And so I figured, if he's been using it, it's got to make sense somehow. I also believe Noisia uses it, and I /think/ BT uses it as well. It wasn't cheap however, but I really like how it's layed out. I'm sure there are more big name artists who use it, because it's a really solid piece of kit.

Actually the first little wobble in that track I'm working on is a Sytrus preset. The other wobble bassline is my own messing around with the Albino 3 synth to get a sound I actually liked.

There are also some other powerful tutorials to get the same sound out of some of Ableton's built in plugins. VST Plugins (like Albino 3) can be used across multiple software, except for Reason. And that's why I didn't get Reason, because I really like using VST's. Reason is really great for it's built in synths though as well.

Eastcoastams I should hook you up with my buddy who is living just outside of Burlington, VT. He's doing DJing/Production and has a degree is music composition, so he'd probably be a wealthy resource living down the street. All he does is work, and then come home and mix/produce.

Everyone always says in most of the forums I read "if you don't know how to make the sound, you're not worthy" or the likes. Dubstepforum.com is notorious for that. But I think it's a crock of bull.

What it comes down to is finding a synth that you enjoy playing around with, and then playing with it for hours upon hours to get a noise you like.

I'm still personally trying to get a "dirtier" sound out of it, trying different layers of effects as well. My favorite artists of the moment are Excision/Datsik and so I don't want to make the same music as they do, I really like that style. So it's my own personal efforts to get something that is as filthy as that, but with my own vibe to it.

[youtube]IiiVWknF_8s[/youtube]

is a good video showcasing one of these free VST synths:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/free-syn...st-t90924.html

post is on there, but I've been checking them out and while really simple, they do have the ability to make some good sounds with a bit of tweaking.

Man... I wanted to learn mixing / DJing... and now all my time is spent in production and playing with that instead lol. Too many things to do.
    Last edited by Bassline Brine; 04-19-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Tech Convert

Loving this thread BigC!

Hopefully gonna start getting into production myself soon and finding this a very interesting read!

Great investment! Like the tune, sounds good for a "work in progress"

Hey BigC, I have been looking for someone more experienced in production, to sort of show me the ropes, a mentor of sorts if you will haha, so it would be cool to meet up with someone in the area who knows their shit. I think I'll try to prioritize ableton as one of my next purchases after I get a new controller. Thanks a ton for the info, good stuff for sure