Changing input channel on Audio 8 DJ in system pref' OSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Changing input channel on Audio 8 DJ in system pref' OSX

I want to do a screen recording of Traktor with Quicktime in OSX. I am using an Audio 8 and if I tell Quicktime to use it's input it uses channels 1+2. Problem is channels 1+2 is the turntable (timecode) input therefore it records the whistle of the timecode vinyl.
    I can't find an option to change the input mode to a different channel on the Audio 8 within Quicktime & If I go to system preferences on my macbook it says "this device has no input controls".

Anyone know how I can do a screen recording with audio from the Audio 8? The only way I can see how to do it is by using decks 2 + 3 in Traktor and routing the audio to channel 1 in the Audio 8. But I really want to avoid this if possible as I am having a few problems with Traktor & I am making a video to demonstrate the problems I am having for someone at NI to see, so want to keep it set up as I normally do.

Any help appreciated

Try going through Midi/Sound in Utilities. Here you should be able to tell OSX what to use as the default ins.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Try going through Midi/Sound in Utilities. Here you should be able to tell OSX what to use as the default ins.

Phil.
    Thanks but this isn't working. I am still picking up the timecode whistle. I went into Midi/Sound in Utilities and there is a drop down menu that says 'stream 1', 'stream 2', etc, up to 4. As I click on each one it changes what 2 input channels are highlighted. If I put it on channels 5+6 (no timecode should be on that input) it still records channels 1+2. If I run an RCA from my mixer output to either input 5+6 or 7+8 it picks up the audio from the music but the whistle is still there along with the music.

Also, if say I highlight 5+6, close Midi/Sound preference, then open Midi/Sound preferences again, 5+6 are no longer highlighted, 1+2 are again.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Tech Guru

As a side note, I went into my Audio 8 settings panel it it says "USB streaming errors - 1". Any ideas what this could mean? 1 error? how do I fix it? Or even find out what the error is?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Also, if say I highlight 5+6, close Midi/Sound preference, then open Midi/Sound preferences again, 5+6 are no longer highlighted, 1+2 are again.
    I thought it asked to save before exiting (confused look on face)... I'm at work but will investigate when I get home.

A couple of weeks ago I was playing in there on the outputs (farting with cue settings) but haven't tried input changes.

Why not record in GarageBand (that is what I do) and it really easy to chose your input then.

Phil.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    I thought it asked to save before exiting (confused look on face)... I'm at work but will investigate when I get home.

A couple of weeks ago I was playing in there on the outputs (farting with cue settings) but haven't tried input changes.

Why not record in GarageBand (that is what I do) and it really easy to chose your input then.

Phil.
    No, it doesn't ask to save changes & there is nowhere to go to save any changes. Are you running a Mac yeah? Cos Macs don't normally ask to save changes, you can just close the window & it should stay the same with the changes.
    Also, if I record into Garageband (I'd use Logic but what ever), it's only going to record the audio isn't it? You'd then have to match up the audio with the video, which personally I find rather lengthy considering quicktime should deal with this shit as standard.

Oops, my bad on the video, I'll read more closely next time :-)

Yeah, I'm Mac, but some setting stuff it does ask to save (like any mail account setting changes) before leaving the window.

I'll look into it when I get home.

Phil.

Tech Guru

Cheers

Ok, had a look at my AK1 in the Audio MIDI utility. What I had remembered was setting the output to different channels and having to save. This is done in the "Speaker" sub window. As the AK1 only has a stereo pair input, I can't really see the input the way you do...

Sorry mate, but SOMEBODY here has got to have the answer!

Phil.

Tech Student

I have the exact same problem. I am trying to record the input from 5/6 in Audacity and it always defaults to 1/2. If anyone has the answer it would be much appreciated. Garageband I can select the right input but I don't want to use that. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast