Why use 4 channels?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why use 4 channels?

I'm pretty new to the DJ realm, and I'm just now getting my first equipment. My question is why would you want to use 4 channels vs. 2? What exactly is the point? I'm thinking traktor wise, and also outputting to the mixer wise...

Tech Mentor

So you can mix 4 sources of music

One example with Traktor and an Audio 8 esp you can route 4 outputs to your mixer and use the mixer to control volume and EQS with 4 On screen decks

or do it Oldskool and Try and mix 4 Vinyl records at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    I'm pretty new to the DJ realm, and I'm just now getting my first equipment. My question is why would you want to use 4 channels vs. 2? What exactly is the point? I'm thinking traktor wise, and also outputting to the mixer wise...
    Do you mean 4 audio channels VS 2 standard channels (stereo signal) ?
    If you do, it's because you need 2 Channels [Stereo Signal Left(1) and Right (2)] to "send" the MASTER (HOUSE) audio signal and 2 Channels [Stereo Signal Left(3) and Right(4)] to "send" the CUE (MONITOR) audio signal.
    The MASTER would be the track that the crowd is dancing to. The CUE would be the track you are previewing in your headphones.
    You cannot accomplish this with a standard 2 Channel audio card, unless you rig it MONO and lose audio quality.
    Hope that helps out.

My above example is for a MIDI controller and 4 channel soundcard with no external mixer.
    If you are using an external mixer you would use this setup: Deck A [LEFT (1) Right (2) Mixer input 1] DECK B [Left (3) Right (4) Mixer input 2]
    Then you CUE through the external mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    My above example is for a MIDI controller and 4 channel soundcard with no external mixer.
    If you are using an external mixer you would use this setup: Deck A [LEFT (1) Right (2) Mixer input 1] DECK B [Left (3) Right (4) Mixer input 2]
    Then you CUE through the external mixer.
    I mean mixing 4 different tracks. I just don't see mixing 4 different songs to be very feasible, but maybe that's my inner "scrub" to DJing. I guess I would just like an example of how you would use 4 different songs O.o

I'm essentially debating between an audio 4 and an audio 8 dj

Tech Mentor

4 channels for me makes me mix more like a composer. I like that

Tech Guru

4 decks for me

2 main decks
    1 deck I can loop a beat and keep a continuous sound going while bring in songs, makes it feel like one long track. Can be a beat, a chime, etc. Or bring in a teaser track and play another one
    1 deck I keep a few samples on one track with hotcues and use to drop samples.

what set up are you using. Can you use the Kontrol sound card? or are you using TSP timecode?

it essentiall gives you more room to ready extra tracks. it takes your mixing from an A>B model and gives you the flexibility to start mixing from song A and bring in elements of song B. while actually dropping source C. but trying to mash 4 songs together at the same time for a long period isnt really the point of 4 deck mixing and usually sounds muddy. its to open your work flow and refresh your mixes. for example see the video below as the masters of multi deck mixing (2manyDJs) rock it at coachella this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQhfy...eature=related

Okay... Also, right now I'm looking at hardware, my setup is pretty bits and pieces... I like what I'm hearing, so I'll be investing in an audio 8 dj. The only problem is what do I do after that? xD

I'm gonna get an Axiom 25 with a sustain pedal and move from there... I'll prob end up getting a midi mixer like the faderfox DJ2 or the Nocturn, then get deck controllers from there (like the otus or the stanton scs.3d's). What do you guys reccomend? I won't do any scratching, although I'm going to leave the setup open to turntables (just in case). Any input?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast