Proper Way to Paint Jog Wheels
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Proper Way to Paint Jog Wheels

Hello everyone, I have had a ton of questions answered graciously on this board and I first want to thank everyone again.

Now on to my question. I will be getting in my Black Japan VCI-100 soon, and I think I am going to want to take off the paint that says USB Midi Controller and then paint or put a sticker on. (which will be in white)

Now, one thing I am getting confused about is how these jog wheels work; Do the plates need to conduct to touch? So a sticker would stop that from happening I would imagine if this is true? If I do have to use paint, what brand and type?

I was thinking of making a stencil and then maybe place it on top and use spray paint? Really not sure so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again
    Reg

You need to paint your jog wheels in electrical conductive paint, and yes a sticker would stop that from happening.

Your best bet for really good looking stencils is to get vinyl cut at a printing shop, stick it on your device and use that as a stencil.

Tech Wizard

I have my jog wheels covered with a vinyl sticker. it's not conductive and the jog wheels work just fine. I'm not sure how the jog wheels work, but it's not direct electro-conductivity.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheph View Post
    I have my jog wheels covered with a vinyl sticker. it's not conductive and the jog wheels work just fine. I'm not sure how the jog wheels work, but it's not direct electro-conductivity.

S.
    They actually work on static electricity which can be picked up though a every thin layer, you need to crank your sensitivity settings right up though, so i wouldnt call it ideal, but it is doable - just be very wary of the thickness of the material/paint you put on there.

Id still recommend conductive paint for failproof results though.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 10-26-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Tech Wizard

sanded them then did 3 coats of tremclad. did the the underside edges and all the openings on the faceplate as well so no silver would show thru the new overlay.

Tech Convert

Can you guys tell me...is there a way to take off the white paint on the jog wheel that says USB Midi Controller with out sanding? For instance, paint thinner/remover? If I have to sand, do I use fine sand paper and do it by hand, use a sander? I really don't want to make a hack job out of this, I want to keep it looking smooth and professional Also, if you can tell me what brand paint to use and where I can find it. Am I using Spray paint? Any help in this dept would be great.'

Thanks again
    Reg

Tech Guru

Default Paint or not to paint my jog wheels?

I've been thinking about painting my jog wheels on my vci 100 se recently. I have all black knobs and faders and I think it will look pretty cool. I've searched these forums and people said that I can just take the plates off and give them a couple of coats and that will be fine? Also I would like an honest anwser from people who actually painted them. Does it look tackie at all? Shoould I just keep them silver?

I bought some flat black tremclad paint I figured that would be good enough.

So should I do it? If so, some good advice from people who already accomplished this would be helpful.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Mentor

A couple coats wouldnt hurt the sensitivity of the jog wheels. Just dont over do it and you should be good.

You could get some of those jog stickers.

Tech Convert

Default UV paint for the jog wheels?!

What do you think of that???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast