Consistent Volume
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Consistent Volume

Hey, I love using all the effects/loops/tempo shifts/etc. in Traktor Pro but I am not sure if I am doing perfectly one of the most essential tasks of a DJ--maintaining a consistent volume. I mix internally so can't use a physical mixer.

Is it simple enough to just turn on the auto gain knob? The volume controls on Traktor are not that great in my opinion. Plus, my mp3s have varying volumes (not enough dough to buy my tracks on Itunes/beatport).
    BlackBook, MidiFighter, Traktor Kontrol S4, AIAIAI TMA-1, Raw Passion

Tech Mentor

you can put on the master limiter, which will prevent things from getting too out of hand, other then that, you need to use your ears. dont expect to push a button and have the software do your job for you. keeping consistent volume is a key part of djing.

autogain from my personal experience works good with just few tracks being slightly off (it's just like 5% or so) - but that is if you compare two tracks in vacuum. But when you mix, you are actualy playing two normalized tracks at the same time and your output is not autogained in any way. You need to listen to it, monitor it and try to compensate it with EQ or volume fader work.

Unfortunately Traktor Pro does not have accurate master level meter. Actually it has, but i don't think it's good enough (yeah the one on top of the screen). So your chances are:
    1) you listen very carefuly to your transitions and try to EQ or channel volume fader it out
    2) hook up external recording (whatamitalkinabout? take your multichannel soundcard like A8Dj and in output routing settings use a channel for Output record. route this record channel physicaly back to the soundcard to some of it's input channels with a RCA cable. then in recording tab in preferences select external recording option and select the input channel your routed it to`; now while mixing instead of FX bank 2 and 4 switch it to record tab and you will see accurately your master levels)
    3) use external mixer (with signal volume led meters) and plug it between your sound system and your master output - now you have external way to monitor your levels... I mixing externaly and classic DJM600 has taught me sooo much about staying on levels just by itself.

when using FX or loops and loads of mess altogether, it's good to monitor your own levels to not get too far off.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Mentor

as far as i am concerned, external mixing with traktor is the only way to go.

This has been one of my biggest bugbears. The VU meters in traktor aren't great, and the auto gain is ok, but no where near accurate enough for my tastes.

If you can, use a decent hardware mixer, and monitor the levels using that.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

You might also want to check out:-

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

Last time I looked none of the apps had asio support, but might work for your setup.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show

I use a Presonus Firebox which I usually hook up to one channel on a mixer. I use the auto gain and master limiter within Traktor. But I have noticed that you need to watch the autogain on Traktor. If you have mp3s of disparate volumes, Traktor can set the gain on the incoming track to 15-20%.

For option 3, dumb question but if I plug my Firebox into an external mixer how do I monitor both levels. Won't it just show one level on the mixer?
    BlackBook, MidiFighter, Traktor Kontrol S4, AIAIAI TMA-1, Raw Passion

When your using the limiter the aim is to never have the limiter actually engage !
    Its there to catch some of your mistakes and not be an essential part in you keeping your tracks playing at a consistent volume. If your relying on the limiter to keep your mix at a steady volume there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with your workflow.

The auto-gain works alright but again you need to use your best asset.. your ears !

As for the volume controls not being that great, the controls are fine ! Its the meters that could probably use some work.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyDonePun View Post

For option 3, dumb question but if I plug my Firebox into an external mixer how do I monitor both levels. Won't it just show one level on the mixer?
    you will still mix internaly, but your main output will be run through a mixer rather than straight into sound system. That way you gonna monitor just one channel and it will be your master channel
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    you will still mix internaly, but your main output will be run through a mixer rather than straight into sound system. That way you gonna monitor just one channel and it will be your master channel
    Lol,

Not sure that answered his question.

You can still monitor both levels separately, whether you mix internally or externally, via a hardware mixer. Just route either deck a,b into channels on your mixer for external mixing, or master/cue for internal mixing, then use the VU meters on your mixer.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast