Dubstep Production Tips and Tricks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

OK lets start by saying just like kicks and snare layer your bass take two or 3 bass patches and layer them together even if you use the same patch 3 times low pass one band pass one and high pass one send each one to its own mixer track then combine those mixer tracks into one mixer track eq again then add wobble to taste "lfo to low cut off "hope this helps

Tech Convert

Hello my name is grow and I am a wobble addict...I am 4 tracks sober....

As dubstep is starting to sound all the same unfortunately I think my first recommendation would be to concentrate on your other sound architecture and composition before getting obsessed with wobble city as I did for a spell. The best stuff coming out doesn't scare the ladies off the dancefloor imo so subtle groove wobbles with intelligent sounds and MORE THAN ONE OR TWO BEAT PATTERNS FOR GOD SAKE will make your music stand out more in this sea of lfo clock automation. Lfo some other sounds too! You can get that dubby flow without the end of the world wobbles. Building your own sounds from scratch helps as well. The basic wobble is a combo of layering a sawtooth and a square with some widening and distortion then lfo clock and frequency automation as many of the previous videos will show but for the future of this amazing genre we should all start thinking outside the wobble box imo. I hope I didn't offend anyone I am just giving my opinion.
    ELECTRO BASS LIVES!
    CHP RECORDINGS LTD.

imo, wobble's played out. unless you have a completely new take on it, like what caspa's doing with some of his stuff, i'd quit it. but then again, if you like it, go for it. just don't expect people to rave over it or get a release.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

I'm new to ableton so be nice
    Anyhow, I was checking out that dubstep bass tutorial for the simpler in Ableton. Quick question... I was following him with no problem up until the midi control part. When he maps the LFO and such, what exactly is he mapping it to? In other words.. I was able to emulate the sound he made, and then made it my own by tweaking some parameters. I can also get the LFO to make it wobble...but the problem is, after following every step in the video, that I can't get the bass to wobble more or less depending on the velocity I hit the keys on my controller. I think I am missing a step. Where he maps the midi, he has a CC number on there..what is that CC for? Couldn't be a specific key on the keyboard could it? Any help would be great..

Tech Mentor

Perhaps he was mapping the LFO rate control to a random knob, and then changing it on the fly with that? I might have misunderstood what he was saying. I am under the impression that he is saying the higher the velocity, the more frequent the wobble...right/wrong?

Tech Convert

the higher the clock rate the more frequent the wobble...velocity is the amount of intensity with which the sound is struck.
    Last edited by grow; 05-06-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: wanted to be more complete
    ELECTRO BASS LIVES!
    CHP RECORDINGS LTD.

Default more tutorial vids

Here's some more tutorials from the dubspot:

http://blog.dubspot.com/dubstep-wobb...deo-tutorials/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12