April 2010: Do the VCI-300 jogs/faders work with TPRO or Not?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default April 2010: Do the VCI-300 jogs/faders work with TPRO or Not?

Hey everyone, and sorry if this should be in a different section. Just wanted it to reach as many eyes as possible.

Why is it impossible for me to figure out from the threads whether or not the VCI-300 is working right with TPro?? Main questions:

1) Do you still need to use a translator?
    2) Do the jogs work?
    3) Do the pitch faders work?
    4) Do you get 14 bits of resolution out of either?
    5) If it doesn't work, do we know why? (TPro supposedly supports 14 bit midi, right?)

Thanks, just trying to stay caught up.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

No they dont work properly with TPro yet, they work... but not properly

Pitch faders do work - you get 14 bit accuracy with these

Yes Tpro supports 14bit midi. However... The 14 bit jog wheel messages don't work, while it appears you can assign the jog with a 14 bit message(the midi learn accepts the 14-bit message) in working practice it just doesn't work correctly.

When NI finally fix this DJTT will put out a VCI-300 mapping... however until then we cant get satisfactory performance from the jog wheels (unless we downscale them to 7 bit messages) to make it worth while.

Tech Guru

Bento, I'm working with a VCI-300 for test purposes, and have some interesting results. I don't want to jump the gun on this, so can you clarify what you mean when you say "the jogs work, but not properly?"

I've got a test tsi that has the scratch set to receive BOTH messages as a single relative fader/knob command with a sensitivity of about 30%, and the thing is scratching great. It doesn't track like Itch, but I can't tell the difference between this setting with the VCI-300 and my VCI-100. I'm not downgrading the message in Bomes either, so what gives?

I see a million posts about people trying to get this to work and having weird start/stop and drift issues and such, and I'm having trouble believing this is such a simple fix (granted, it still doesn't sound like 14 bit).

Since the vci-300 xfader curve adjust also does not translate to Traktor, I've routed midi through Bomes into Ableton, setting up translators to do the instant cut thing, and it's spot on.

Have you or TechTools tried this setting?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Yes we have tried all sorts of settings and have not got a compelling scratch performance yet.

You can get the jogs to "work" but they are not as good it should work.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ali (Hedgehog) is also working on this alongside his work with djquartz on the NS7 project.

Annoying as ive got my mates VCI 300 collecting dust in the club.

I am obviously missing an important element of the fuss over the VCI-300. Yes, it is a nice clean layout and the improved resolution of the pitch fader and jogs is a clear benefit (maybe that IS all the fuss?). But from an economical point of view, the soundcard is not well reputed and you do not have enough controls on the deck for FX (well not without serious layering) and I understand that it still needs to be run through a translator.

With all that stacked against it, why does it still get so much attention? I'm not hating at all, I am genuinely curious to why?

I would love to have a serious go with Itch, as it has some features that interest me, but the dedicated controllers available all have too large of a "cons" column versus the "pros".

Opinions?

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah Phil your not wrong. The 300 is missing a lot of what makes the 100 great.

I suppose i just wanna use hi-res jogs with Traktor.
    Ive heard the same about the sound card. Also its pretty large in comparison to the 100.
    And some of the buttons dont seem to be freely mappable ?

But ... like others i just cant get enough info in one place to make me really hunger for it.

Had my hands on a A&H DX a few weeks back. That thing excited me a lot more.

all the buttons are freely mappable, but some of the knobs are controling the internal soundcard and cannot be mapped.

doing LED stuff is not fun because all of the led's use different midi notes than the buttons they are mapped too, which doesnt make it very fun to midi map

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Had my hands on a A&H DX a few weeks back. That thing excited me a lot more.
    Not to hi-jack the thread (well maybe I did already...), but I would love to hear your thoughts on the DX Karlos. Apart from the jogs, this looks killer (I've already got the arcade button mod plotted from thictool's videos!).

But as far as sorting an "ultimate controller", nobody is there yet!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post

But as far as sorting an "ultimate controller", nobody is there yet!

Phil.

You said it man. I think the big fuss IS the hi-res jogwheels. I wish that controller existed. The DX looks great -- but man those jogwheels aren't even touch sensitive. A DX with VCI-300 jogs working with traktor would be a dream machine. Funny i was just talking to a friend about this same topic this morning. I love the VCI, but jumping on some TT 1200's has such an awesome feel and response, I wish there was a way to replicate that with a controller using Traktor.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast