Another Traktor looping question
    Tech Guru

Default Another Traktor looping question

How do I do loop beginning and end adjustments in Traktor without it going by what is currently displayed in the loop length table in the deck? So if I decrease the end point it does it in halves of the size of the loop, but if I adjust the beginning point it does it in beats?

Can't figure out how to get around this.

Any help?

Thanks
    Last edited by dodge; 04-22-2010 at 08:26 PM.

basically there is no way around this, as the steps is decreasing and increasing only go by halve.
    the only chance i see for you is to set the "loop out" manually, iff possible.

means you have to get you loop (for example 16 counts) and a smart button with the following functions:
    - cue|play (in this case jumping to the beginning of the loop)
    -deactivate loop
    -set loop in

15 count later you press the loop out button and have you wicked 15 count loop (snap/quantize funkction might proove as heplful)

btw: what do you need you 15/7 w/e count loop for?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by derschaich View Post
    basically there is no way around this, as the steps is decreasing and increasing only go by halve.
    the only chance i see for you is to set the "loop out" manually, iff possible.

means you have to get you loop (for example 16 counts) and a smart button with the following functions:
    - cue|play (in this case jumping to the beginning of the loop)
    -deactivate loop
    -set loop in

15 count later you press the loop out button and have you wicked 15 count loop (snap/quantize funkction might proove as heplful)

btw: what do you need you 15/7 w/e count loop for?
    Wow, I don't think I understood any of that.

ok, i just wanted to point out to the fact, that you have to do it manually.

the smart button was just a suggestion to decrease your amount of work.

what do you need your strange loops (yes, a 15 count loop is strange..) for?

edit: was it my bad english (i'm from germany) or was it just too complex for ya tiny brain ?
    Last edited by derschaich; 04-23-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by derschaich View Post
    ok, i just wanted to point out to the fact, that you have to do it manually.

the smart button was just a suggestion to decrease your amount of work.

what do you need your strange loops (yes, a 15 count loop is strange..) for?
    I don't need strange loop sizes, I don't know where you're getting that from. What I need is to be able to make a loop, then I want to be able to decrease the size of the loop from the end point, halving the loop every time I push it. I also want to be able to adjust the beginning point by individual beats (something I'd do prior to making an end point) so if I miss where the start of the loop should be by a beat or so I can shift it backwards in order to get it right, then make the end point. Get me?

I'm a bit confused too Dodge

What I need is to be able to make a loop, then I want to be able to decrease the size of the loop from the end point, halving the loop every time I push it.
    That should straight forward as either you use the loop lenght function and reduce the loop as it would always be done by the end point and divided. Or you create several functions on the same button that will select the advanced panel and its mode to 'loop out', engage the loop mode (so the loop will be halved) and the movement itself (backwards or onwards).

As for the second part of your need
    I also want to be able to adjust the beginning point by individual beats (something I'd do prior to making an end point) so if I miss where the start of the loop should be by a beat or so I can shift it backwards in order to get it right, then make the end point. Get me?
    the trick here is that you want to do that before making the loop out point.
    I don't know. Manual loop 'in' would be the solution as if you set a loop in, if it doesn't suit you, you just then enter a new one?

nah, ok. gettin it.
    you want to reduce/increase the loop from the tail end.
    been thinking of sth. similar for a while, too.
    solution might look like this:
    take you existing loop (for example eight counts, from beat 1-8)
    halve it (4 counts from 1-4)
    move the loop (just looked that up, it is possible: move section below wave form, set to loop)
    there you go, a 4 count loop from beat 5-8 (if this is what you finally want to accomplish...?)

This is pretty straightforward using loop move.
    Display the advanced panel under your deck if its not displayed already.

Lets assume you were late with your loop start, and you have snap on, so you've caught beats 2-4 instead of 1-4.

First thing you need to do is set the loop to the size you want by simply clicking the loop size next to the play/cue/cup buttons, in this example, 4. This now makes your loop on beats 2-5.

Next, you need to put the loop in the right place, in this case beats 1-4.
    On the advanced panel, click the move button and select loop. Then select the number of beats you want the loop to be moved by. So in this example, we're a single beat out, so I click 1. Now I simply use the forward or back buttons on the loop panel to move the loop.

You can move loop start and ends separately using the loop in and loop out drop down menu's from the same panel, but I find that no where near as fast.

All of this can be done very quickly using midi mappings.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

as said, go to move mode 'loop in' or loop 'out' (or even 'loop', whatever you need), select loop mode if you want the move divided or multiplied by half or two or use the move mode's lenght bar to move by a specified numbers - or use 'fine' mode is that's more suitable to your need
    Get it or do you need the exact mapping?