Duty Fees?!?

Thread: Duty Fees?!?

Default Duty Fees?!?

So because of the current exchange rate I am considering going cross border to purchase some equipment. I live in Canada and would go to new york state to buy it. Anyone have any experience with doing this? Is there any border or duty chargers on electronics(dj equipment)? What is the sales tax in new york state?

I think it's supposedly spending over $200 you have to claim it when you cross the border. I've only done it purchasing stuff from Canada and bringing it back to the US, and the US seems to be a bit more hardcore lately than Canada.

NY State Sales tax is pretty nasty if I remember correctly. It seems to be about 8%. If you are close whatsoever go to New Hampshire to buy anything, they have ZERO sales tax in that state, but I'm not sure whereabouts you are coming down from.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Also check out the Warranty because many items are not meant to be sold outside certain territories.
    For instance if I purchase a mixer from an American store and ship to Engand the warranty is void as soon as it leaves the States.

Id be surprised if there was an issue between US & Canada but its worth checking.

Tech Mentor

the hassle is probably not worth it unless you are saving loads of money. you will need to pay the tariffs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    the hassle is probably not worth it unless you are saving loads of money. you will need to pay the tariffs as well.
    yeah you are probably right. i calculated it all out and i would only save around 200 dollars. thats not including the gas to drive there and the cost of currency conversion. just gonna go to the closest store to buy the setup.