How to expand the midifighter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How to expand the midifighter?

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking about getting the midifighter because of its supposed expansion capabilities. In a recent article it was said that the midifighter had the following expansion possibilities:

"Analog inputs = 4 (expandable to 16)
    Digital inputs = 16 buttons, 4 unassigned (expandable 200+)
    LED outputs = 0 (expandable 200+ with latched serial drivers)

I was just wondering how one would go about doing this hardware wise. I read somewhere in that article about analog multiplexers or something...

anyone know?

Thanks

Tech Guru

im very interested in this too!
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    im very interested in this too!
    x2.
    http://www.numark.com/images/logo.gif

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

The ability to seriously expand the IO of the midifighter is only possible with some advanced hacking.

Because you have access to the source code & schematics it is possible if you have the skill allready, however it is not for the beginner.

Out of the box you can expand it with a further 4 buttons, and 4 analog components (ie 4 faders, or 4 knobs, or 2 x XY joysticks etc)

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    The ability to seriously expand the IO of the midifighter is only possible with some advanced hacking.

Because you have access to the source code & schematics it is possible if you have the skill allready, however it is not for the beginner.
    I assume you're talking about using the 4 inputs to create an isolated matrix input with diodes to stop ghosting and masking. And then modifying the source to read the inputs and and decipher them

Not really. We're talking about using a combination of digital and analog pins to talk to an external microcontroller over an SPI bus so that it can read additional buttons and sliders and control LEDs. Adding a microcontroller to run the extended user interface while the original micro concentrates on running the 16 keys and the USB interface.

Electronically not difficult to do, the problem is defining the serial protocol that allows the two machines to talk reliably, efficiently and without error.

Ahhh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Although that did just rain on my parade

Although that did just rain on my parade

sorry. . .my randomness get's the best of me sometimes. . .

Tech Convert

Might I recccomend looking into the monome. Or Arduinome. Just get an arduino, or livid brain, and do serial using some multiplexers from sparkfun and livid. I have been thinking about putting my own together for a while.

http://flipmu.com/work/arduinome/

Tech Wizard

I'm also interested in expanding my midifighter. I'm a bit noob when it comes to things like this.

I watched the DIY introduction and there it seemed like crossfader is connected to midifighter with only one wire. Is it really that easy? What is best place to order midifighter friendly crossfaders, knobs etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast