My iPad thoughts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My iPad thoughts

After giving it some consideration, I have decided that the iPad would be a nice second midi controller. You could have endless programs and they can all be labeled on the LCD touch screen. It's easy to get lost when you have multiple modifiers, programs, and multi-colored LED's. Yes, I am talking about you launchpad and you too APC 40 ! The iPad would let you label and custom design your maps easily.
    Just my thoughts.

I like the idea, but it's going to have the same taboo that Stanton's DaScratch has. It's always going to have the filter of being a "toy" and not really being part of a real dj setup. I dont agree, and I think it will have it's uses, and I'm actually looking forward to using one of those badboys for something someday. xD

from what i have seen the latency needs to be improved before it can be taken seriously as a professional performance tool.

i'm not against the idea of using touchscreens for the purposes you suggest, they are super flexible secondary controllers that can offer alot of info and feedback.

for those who haven't heard of Usine, check it out, it's a DAW/audio environment that combined with a touchscreen monitor or tabletpc can allow for customizable touchscreen interfaces that you design based on your needs.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Touch screens are just not tactile enough. What you gain in flexibility of layout, you loose in the tactile feel of physical controls. Thats why I'm not a fan of touch sensors at the moment.

Take a look at this video of the DJM-2000, and in particular, the EQ crossfading using the touch screen. See how bad the control is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pyTM9xg0-s
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Tactile feel aside (the control can be tailored to suit the interaction required, but that is another subject), the biggest killer of all Apple devices (iPod, iPhone and iPad) is the lock down on iTunes. Until they allow apps to get in there and play what is already loaded on the device, it will not be taken seriously by the pro DJ software designers.

Have a look at the advertising blurb for Sonorasaurus Rex, "Flying to a gig? Practice your set..." That means I have to load my mix library in two different places on an already limited memory machine. Fail.

Even if Apple unlocks iTunes, will this ever be a full-on, pro, stand-alone DJ rig? Don't think so. But it would be cool to do little gigs with, especially things like house parties. If that camera hook-up does allow USB audio and a nice little unit comes along like an A2DJ, I for one will be rockin' this rig. Then the MBP/VCI rig will be for bigger deals.

Phil.

Sent from my iPad.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

iTunes is 'Unlocked' to a certain extent on the iDevices as of iPhoneOS 3.0. You can READ your iTunes library on the device, just can't WRITE to it (ID3, cues, whatnot) unless your iDevice is Jailbroken. So you can pull song info and play the track, just not open to DEVs... unless you're Jailbroken and don't give two shits about making money off the appstore. :-D
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Tech Guru

i dunno guys. From a dj perspective... 500 dollars. What can you buy with 500 dollars instead? This is before you spend money on apps too.

2 x1s? 2 used tech 1200s? 2 xone 1ds? an efx 1000 (almost?). There are just so many other choices on the market, many of which are top of the line, tried and true devices, that will be both reliable, and relevent in years to come (unlike the ipad).

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    i dunno guys. From a dj perspective... 500 dollars. What can you buy with 500 dollars instead? This is before you spend money on apps too.

2 x1s? 2 used tech 1200s? 2 xone 1ds? an efx 1000 (almost?). There are just so many other choices on the market, many of which are top of the line, tried and true devices, that will be both reliable, and relevent in years to come (unlike the ipad).
    The thing about the iPad in addition to DJing is it's range of other applications. It's not only a semi-viable controller (still too new to give it a thumbs up or down on this yet) but it does a host of other things as well.

It's something that you can mess with the Amazon Kindle app to read a book on, check things online, listen to your music. Nevermind what can be done as a DJing tool.

As purely a DJing tool? I agree, I think there are some better options out there. But it's the fact that this does DJing apps and then so much more as well that sets it somewhat apart in my mind.

Do I trust wireless? No. I don't even use a wireless mouse or bluetooth headset. Will it be okay? Probably. But less risks involved with stability the better in my opinion.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    ipad is not a good deal if that is what you are trying to say...there is a million dj related things to spend $500 before the ipad

Tech Guru

exactly. I'm not saying its not a good product. I'm just saying it doesnt make sense to use it as a djing object if thats why you want to buy it.

There are some people who have a seperate laptop for djing and recreation. I dont know if I would be comfortable using my Ebook reader in the club.... kind of like I'm still not comfortable with using the iphone in the booth, or those ipod decks (cause my ipod is full of tons of non dj related stuff).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast