[HELP] Smartmixing JACK1.9.5 or VAC

Default [HELP] Smartmixing JACK1.9.5 or VAC

Gang, i need help using Jack 1.9.5 or Virtual Audio cable for smartmixing with Ableton 8.

I use VDJ, Ableton 8, a BCD3000 on WinXP

With VAC i have everything running, except that the BCD has no 3&4 channels when running in WDM mode. Is there any way i can use my internal soundcard for cueing in ableton and the bcd for the main out?

With JACK i had a massive loop issue with deck b. And massive latency. BUT i think i am able to route the headphones properly.

Bottomline, is here anybody who either uses Jack 1.9.5 without problems and no latency? Could someone give my a helping hand? Or maybe even a step by step for using JACK?

thx in advance, peace
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Tech Guru

I'm at work so I'm not sure which version of Jack I am using. But I can tell you I'm having no problems, and certainly an acceptable latency (5.5ms). BUT only at one combination of settings, strangely enough. If I use anything different than 24bit, 44.1k sample rate, 256k buffer, I'll get crazy warp/slowdowns or breakups AFTER about 20-30 minutes of play time. I don't really understand, I don't see anything unusual happening with my cpu, everything is very low in Live and Traktor. But since that one particular setting works without a problem, that's what I use.

Another reply of mine to similar questions, more detailed:http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...highlight=jack
    Last edited by Zac Kyoti; 04-27-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

JackDmp is better than VAC in my tests

I still cant get jack working properly.

Here´s how i set up with VAC now:

In VDJ my soundcard is set to Mono-Separated and uses Line1 Virtual Audio Cable.
    Output is set to external mixer - Left deck=Left Chan/Right Deck= Right Chan.

With this setting i get a mono channel for deck and b in ableton. But my BCD3000 is only able to be running in wdm mode this way. In wdm mode the same signal is routed to the output and the headphone cue, basically turning a 4 channel soundcard into a 2 channel soundcard.

Damn it, i cant cue this way!

This is where Jack comes into the picture. I got it to a point where i routed the 2 stereo-outputs from the bcd (left and right deck) into Ableton. But i was not able to route it back into the bcd.

This is what it looked like:

BCD outputs 1-4 into live´s in 1-4.
    live´s outputs 1-4 into system 1-4.

But (!), strangely i was shown 1-8 outputs for my system. This must be my inbuild soundcard i guess (desktop pc soundcard with 5.1 or 7.1, idk). I then changed the systems main soundcard in hardware settings ( XP) to use the BCD instead of my inbuild soundcard.... (btw, i only had sound coming to the speakers when i used 1-4. 5-8 had no output routed, either to the bcd nor the pc´s card. So i dont think jack is howing all possible outputs connected to my pc. instead it is showing only the outputs of the device that is set to be used as window´s soundcard)

I than was shown only 2 system outputs instead of 8. Must be the effin´wdm mode again. The bcd only allows for 1+2 and 3+4 outputs in its native asio mode. Not when using Jack, VAC or asio4all.

Now i am wondering if there is a way to use both my bcd´s soundcard and my inbuild one simultaniously, the bcd for main out and the inbuild one for cueing? Is it possible to let jack see the 2 cards as my system soundcard? This would be superduper, as this is my only problem right now. not beeing able to cue properly...

and on a similar note. i may have got something twisted in my setup with jack and my inbuild soundcard. I have a external mixer hooked up going into the speakers, beeing fed on one side by the bcd main out and the other side from the pc-out. With the crossfader all the way to the pc-side, left deck in ableton was sounding great, but the right deck had a massive buzz, like a feedback loop from deck a. Could this be? I am confused, as the pc-input was not used in ableton.

I had the mixer set up because i wanted to keep my music output and my pc output seperated, therefor no ugly msn sounds when spinning and chatting

zac, thx for your link. I think its really helpfull, and next time i get to try it out, i will.

Bento, did you run jack on winXP? if so, what where your settings like? In jack itself as also in asio4all?

ps. i have a little usb soundcard from my imix reload laying around here and i´m wondering if this unit will run lower latency than my pc´s card regarding jack´s setup.

thx guys

Hi guys,

My setup at the moment is

VDJ set as 2 soundcards
    leading to
    2 VAC channels (2 x stereo)
    into
    Ableton
    via
    ASIO4ALL.
    leading out to 4 channels of Maya44

Overall latency is ok for me on 2Ghz Core2Duo running windows 7 32Bit. (Sub 20ms)

I tried Jack but it only ever saw 2 channels of system outputs with the maya card and even then the latency was unusable.

Pete

allright, i now have vdj set up the same way with ableton like pete does. I cant believe i forgot to set VAC to 2 cables, thats why i could only select it as mono sperated.

So now i have 2 stereo channels from vdj coming into live. But still only 1 stereo channel can be routed from live to the bcd via asio4all. The latency is nearly nonexistant. I ran a latency test and it went quite well, with dpc i have 1.92ms

I have the build-in soundcard deactivated in asio4all. if i activate it can i route the cue-out to the headphone out somehow? i think asio4all doesnt offer a way to select explicit channels for output, only devices, or does it?

i would still like someone to give us a insight on jack2/jackdmp/jack1.9.5, or is there a tutorial somewhere? The website only offers linux-talk i´m afraid.

edit: i just noticed it was your first post. welcome on the board petesimpson33

With ASIO4ALL set as the ASIO card in Ableton multiple devices can be set as output.

When you activate a device in ASIO4ALL all channels are available in the sound setup in ableton. (The output button in the sound menu of Ableton)

You'll need to change the output channels in the master strip in Ableton to another set of channels other than the 3+4 that are default.

Hope that helps.

Pete