Best way to promote online without being annoying?

Default Best way to promote online without being annoying?

I know it's kind of inevitable, but when promoting yourself as a DJ or producer, what have you guys found are good ways to promote without being that annoying guy?

Is there an easier way than joining millions of forums and trolling or sending out a million myspace/facebook messages??

Default not gonna happen

all i ever talk about is the hardware/software/products and how cool THEY are. I don't make anything from of any of it. I'm a journalist by nature/trade, and that's how I approach everything I post here or anywhere else. And yet, still for the most part it just gets negativity. So good luck, and if you figure it out, let me know

Tech Wizard

The best way to not be annoying is to be part of the conversation that is going on.

Popping in on a board, FB, MySpace touch points and blasting your stuff without context is tantamount to running by a bunch of people having a conversation and interrupting them to tell them about your latest and greatest whatever it is you are promoting.

Being respectful of the context of the platform/conversations occurring, and being a real human being goes a long way IMO.

rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robtronik View Post
    The best way to not be annoying is to be part of the conversation that is going on.

Popping in on a board, FB, MySpace touch points and blasting your stuff without context is tantamount to running by a bunch of people having a conversation and interrupting them to tell them about your latest and greatest whatever it is you are promoting.

Being respectful of the context of the platform/conversations occurring, and being a real human being goes a long way IMO.

rob.
    and have big blatant links in your signature

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

^^^ LOL. Nice.

Good advice Rob, that's generally how I feel about it. I don't feel annoying with what i've been doing so far, just more or less uncomfortable with the generic "Hey look at me!" approach... I guess I'm just looking for other methods

find topics relevant to your style. they may be few and far between, but kind of like one of those: "hey if you like that, check out this:" sort of thing
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    I know it's kind of inevitable, but when promoting yourself as a DJ or producer, what have you guys found are good ways to promote without being that annoying guy?

Is there an easier way than joining millions of forums and trolling or sending out a million myspace/facebook messages??

With Ammunition Recordings, I've never spammed people as a form of promoting. The way I thought about it in the beginning was that, if you have quality music, then people are going to listen. Having a good image is a plus as well (branding?)

You see all these people post stuff in your comments on myspace, putting links to their stuff in your status updates, posting links to their stuff on your facebook, or forum posts, and it's THESE people that are less likely to get noticed. People hate that. I know I do.

If someone just comes at me and says "HEY NEW MIX / TRACK UP ON MY PAGE CHECK IT OUT IT'S THE HEEZY JEEZY!"... I usually mark it as spam and delete the person.

Bottom line: Have quality music that people enjoy listening to. The music speaks for itself.

I just spam all my friends facebook accounts, it always gets me gigs
    S4 Macbook Sennheiser hd25-1 ii #Winning

I personally only send out a mix once a month to selected websites and put them on my podomatic and myspace, on top of that I only send them once! people send me tracks/mixes two to three maybe four times a month, nothing worse than that as chances are I commented on your mix track the first time.

the best people are those who send me a pm and ask if i would be nice enough to comment and listen to their music/mixes for those guys/gals i will go out of my way to do so

the worst type of person is please add me and listen to my music, yet they can't be bothered to return the favour/comment they are a no no.

to be honest to me it's basic manners and simple to apply you just have to use common sense and think, as for spamming friends websites i don't ever do that.

If you use soundcloud, send your mixes to a good group that digs your style, like drum & bass or super cheese house or something, pop a link to your website under the tracklist and see what happens. indirect marketing
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "