Thinking of building my own MF-type controller. . .random questions. . .

Default Thinking of building my own MF-type controller. . .random questions. . .

Hey everyone. . .
    I'm fairly new to this, and I just had the notion to DIY a MF of my own. I do have several questions so I can go full on with my design. This is going to be long. . sorry guys. .

Saw the MF, and fell instantly in love. . . (no literally!), I understood the LED issues of the buttons, so I decided to go 2 steps further. Low Profile, Illuminated buttons.
    http://www.happ.com/pushbuttons/ilumn3.htm

I'm curious if anyone has issues using Suzo-Happ buttons (like doing triple crab rolls? . . again, I'm bad with wording =? ) or if there's something similar to Sanwa pushbuttons? And are there power issues I may have to worry about because of the LEDs?

What's the most buttons I can use on a single board? I see the 4x4 grid, but I'm also assuming I can add smaller buttons off to the side. I'm planning on using this as a Serato controller as well. (I have a nanopad, but I'd like to see if the Suzo-Happ buttons can replicate the "machine-gun" repeat for midi triggers. . .sorry, I just couldn't find the right words to say it!)

I know I'm new, and I'm asking rather redundant questions, but ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. . . .

Thank you
    Dj Windz One

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Heya - you can add another 4 buttons using the expansion connector - however they will not have midi controlled illumination

There goes that Idea!!!

. . . .I guess I can start getting into the prototypes of the simple one I guess. Is there a forum post where I can find some of the software to begin my research and whatnot?

Thanks midfidiler!

Hey all. . .been a while. . .

I have a few more questions, and from the research I've been doing. . .

Does anyone know if the Low Profile Illuminated push buttons from Suzo-Hap have the same response (machine gun action) as the Sanwa or Semitsu butons?
    Pushbuttons in question: http://www.happ.com/pushbuttons/ilumn3.htm
    - I'm curious only because the gigs I play have little/no lighting in the booth, and the lights would help me out immensely.

Of if I decide to not go with the above, can the Seimitsu PS-14-KN be a good alternative to the Sanwa?

Thanks again in adavance. . .LOVE the site!

DjWindzOne

Based on the pictures I would say probably not, as the button does not seem to come up over the rim far enough -- those seem to be recessed buttons. The Seimitsus look a lot better but you won't know until you try it, or find someone else who has. There are definitely some arcade buttons out there that will be a disappointment, so be careful -- if you can't find someone who's used them, just order one button and see what you think before you order the other 15....

Thanks djproben!

Unfortunately, I'm the ONLY one out of ALL the DJ's I know of that's doing this.

The reasoning for the Illuminated buttons is that there was an arcade game a few years ago called "Beat Mania" that used these same buttons (although rectangular). Even though they are recessed, they were responsive to what I used to do with them. The thought came up when I came across the DJTT website, and was wondering if someone ever used them, or had any success using them. . . .

And I was drawing up some desgins of my own, and seeing if there was a way to add banks. . .like the nanopad, but without scrolling through the other banks.

I guess I'm still in limbo with creating illuminated buttons for now. . . .Back to the the research and "grind". . . .

Thanks all!!!