please help on ohms.
    Tech Student

Default please help on ohms.

i need some info if anyone can help.
    i have a warrior da1300 watt amp 650 watts at 4 ohms per channel/390 watts at 8 ohms per channel.
    i have a pair of peavey 300 watt 4 OHM speakers.
    i just recently purchased a pair of kam 200rms/400 peak watt bass bins that are 8 OHMS.
    would i do any damage if i came out of my amp into the bass bin then daisy chained from bin into speakers. please help what sort of ohms would i be generating by connecting bins to speakers like this.

Tech Guru

unfortunatly, the warrior amp cannot handle a 2 ohm load, which makes this difficult.

This would be easier if you mentioned what type of speakers you actually had (model number).

This is how it *should* work:

Run speakon cable from channel 1 of your amp to the input on the first Kam. Run a speakon cable from the second speakon jack on the first Kam to one of the speakon jacks on the second bass bin. You are now wired in parallel which means your amp is experiencing a 4 ohm load on that channel (half the impedence when doubling the drivers in parallel).

Now we start to run into issues. Your peaveys are 4 ohms. if you wired them in parallel (which they are probably set up for, but I cant speak for that cause I dont know model number) you would be putting a 2 ohm load on your amp, which it is not rated for. This could damage your amp.

You *could* wire your peaveys in series, but this will be at a loss of 3dB sensitivity, and you will only be able to throw 145 watts to each one (series wiring doubles impedance, so 2 * 4 = 8).

I think it looks like you have a new amp in your future.

plus, from what i can tell, it's only a 2 channel amp. so if you wanted to run all of those speakers off that one amp, you would *have* to run in parallel. bummer.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

If you "daisy chain" them meaning run them parallel. You will get a 2.66 OHM load on each channel. Here is an online calculator: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#par

Tech Guru

yeah... but its not a good idea to run a cable to a midrange horn, and then to a sub in parrallel, especially considering they have different power handling. Generally I only run identical drivers in parallel, which would be 4 ohms on 1 channel, and 2 on the other.