DJ Name?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ Name?

Tech Mentor

Default DJ Name?

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the controllerist scene, so please be forgiving It seems to me, the biggest thing to have after you've aquired a pretty decent skill set, is actually having some content (music) and a "brand" or name to go by. I have a fair amount of skills (we're always learning and adding to this, aren't we?!) to where I feel comfortable mixing, and I have a few songs that I have produced and mixed myself. The only thing that I get hung up on is a name to go by. Not so much the logo because I am sure once I get a likeness to go by, the logo shouldn't be too hard for me to design.

I get stuck sometimes thinking about a name to go by because:

1. I don't want it to be cheesy or lame
    2. I don't want to somewhere down the line decide I want to change it because of reason 1 or any other reason for that matter.
    3. Somebody else already has it (Whether it be across the globe, or across the street)

Which brings me to another question.. is it shunned upon in the DJ community to have the same name as another DJ? Now I know this happens from time to time, but is it more of a regional thing? (i.e. would it be ok for DJ ABC to call himself DJ ABC only if there is not another DJ by that name in his or her region?...country? ...state? ...county?)

Now I know picking a name will ultimately be up to me...whether it's a name _I_ can live with and whatnot, and I'm sure you all are tired of the same ol' thread, but I figured I would take a stab in the dark. If anyone has any suggestions, tips, advice, ANYTHING would be _greatly_ appreciated. If I was going to get a response on any forum, it would be this one. It is full of great people, even better music, and DJTT has some of the best customer service ever. Period. (just throwing that out there)

Tech Mentor

use a variation of your real name. shorten last name or use a middle name...

Tech Mentor

There was an article written by Ean or some other mod specifically about choosing a dj name. Probably wanna find that article that was written on the main page fairly recently.

Tech Mentor

Yeap, read it. Still having a mental block. Thanks for the reply though!!
    I have an ethnic name so that might make it easier to mash up? Not sure.. I will take that suggestion and run with it though. Thanks.

Hmm, now if only I could come up with something for the name Ricardo Torres :x

Tech Guru

do you want to have DJ in front of your name or no?

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    There was an article written by Ean or some other mod specifically about choosing a dj name. Probably wanna find that article that was written on the main page fairly recently.
    didn't that article say not to end in e?

shit....

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by RT31784 View Post
    Yeap, read it. Still having a mental block. Thanks for the reply though!!
    I have an ethnic name so that might make it easier to mash up? Not sure.. I will take that suggestion and run with it though. Thanks.

Hmm, now if only I could come up with something for the name Ricardo Torres :x
    Personally, I would just leave your name as it is! Has a pretty nice ring to it. Sure it ain't 4 syllables or whatever but it sounds fine.

I am sticking to my normal name as well :S

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    didn't that article say not to end in e?

shit....
    LOL ya it did hahahaah.

meh, double e isn't so bad

SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

LoL, you think? REALLY? My _real_ name ? It's an idea if all else fails. Problem with that though is that I think that's about as cheesy as DJ Dee Jay or something like that.. haha.

No, I don't want to have "DJ" before my name..unless the name particularly calls for it or would sound natural, know what I mean ?

don't do it!!! only douchebags do that

SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast