Fretless Fader, a turntablist device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fretless Fader, a turntablist device.

A device from John Beez, that combines pitch control and cross fader into one X/Y device. Impressive, but I can't help thinking it would be a lot easier to do digitally...

[youtube]TJyvkL2q8uk[/youtube]

Looks like Fader FX but with the Xfader instead of the line fader.

The tactile of it looks nice though. Would be an easy addition onto a Midi Fighter.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

that's pretty cool.. especially with the major/minor chords..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

so he's changing the key of the sound coming from the deck? i am seeing that right?

pretty cool.

could be done digital using gater effect for cutting and mapping a knob to key correction, so you have enough hands. kind of what i have now, but my button for setting the gate up, turns key correction off to avoid any unwanted digitisation of sound. and then key knob changes gate length.

or on the xy of the nano, map x-fade on left/right and key on up/down

both of those ideas would have limits compared to what he's doing though.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    A device from John Beez, that combines pitch control and cross fader into one X/Y device. Impressive, but I can't help thinking it would be a lot easier to do digitally...

[youtube]TJyvkL2q8uk[/youtube]
    What up, thanks for sharing my video. To clear up any speculation, the Fretless Fader controls the turntable's rpm through midi messages. The sound is pure analog, the vinyl is real, and the turntable is real. That's the original motivation for this device, it enables you to scratch a single sound on vinyl and create a melody simultaneously, all while keeping your hands directly on the vinyl and fader. This fills a void that was originally thought to be solved with a MIDI footpedal similar to a wah or volume pedal, but Vestax dropped that from development.

Naturally this isn't the only application for an XY fader setup such as this, but for the few people that are into making music with a turntable this adds a whole new dimension and melodic expression to what was once thought of as strictly a percussive instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeez View Post
    What up, thanks for sharing my video. To clear up any speculation, the Fretless Fader controls the turntable's rpm through midi messages. The sound is pure analog, the vinyl is real, and the turntable is real. That's the original motivation for this device, it enables you to scratch a single sound on vinyl and create a melody simultaneously, all while keeping your hands directly on the vinyl and fader. This fills a void that was originally thought to be solved with a MIDI footpedal similar to a wah or volume pedal, but Vestax dropped that from development.

Naturally this isn't the only application for an XY fader setup such as this, but for the few people that are into making music with a turntable this adds a whole new dimension and melodic expression to what was once thought of as strictly a percussive instrument.
    so the up/down motion is controlling the pitch fader? sweet

seen things like this done with just the normal fader, but this is a big improvement on that

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeez View Post
    I like the control idea, I love the smoothness of your implementation and I *really* like how you've made some melodic demos that aren't just a "proof of concept" racket from an untrained user.

I think the XY control has uses far beyond merely pitching that specific make of turntable and it's an excellent, musical, tactile device that instantly suggests additional uses rather than just being designed for one specific task. All the best tools have multiple uses. I'd willingly swap out a platter on a VCI100 for one of these.

Looking forward to see you commercialize the idea and, if so, where you take it next. Oh, and thanks for dropping by!

Tech Guru

Sick!!!!

Tech Convert

This would be amazing on a midi fighter. could add so much more depth to scratching/juggling/button mashing routines. Can it be used with the tech 1200 or only vestax?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That was awesome.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast