1st Impressions (how your set looks)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1st Impressions (how your set looks)

This is one of the most innovative DIY communities I've come across which is why Im looking fwd to hearing some ideas on this.

So for the average bedroom DJ on a budget...how do you give your presentation the pizazz it needs to not look like just an other CDR set in the hands of people who happen to come across it?

I know there are places that specialize in making promo packages with full blown cover art and booklets, etc but for somebody who just wants to add a bit of style to their CD in a creative, DIY yet artistically stylish sort of way.

I've seen what we do with our VCI's and other midi gear here so does anybody have anything they've tried that has tastefully made their CD stand out from the rest without looking like just...Sharpie-doodling?
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

just put an eye catching design together to print on the disc, not too many colours, bright and don't take it too seriously and make it too 'arty' imho

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

to be honest, its probably more important to hand it to the right people. dont go round just handing them to everyone, its probably a waste of money. give it to the right people and make sure you follow them up.

Tech Mentor

Never done it, but you could spray paint them very easily... and with a stencil for the design... fuck that's actually a really good idea!

You all saw it I thought of it first!

isn't there the possibility of the paint screwing up the plastic of disc?

why not use a lightscribe drive to burn a design onto the front?

SoundCloud

I've got several tagger friends, and when we cut cds for my band we lay them out in a grid and have one of them spraypaint a mural across all of them. Everyone who buys a cd gets a "piece of art" in the most literal sense. as long as you don't spray too heavy the paint makes no difference to the playability of the disk.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    I've got several tagger friends, and when we cut cds for my band we lay them out in a grid and have one of them spraypaint a mural across all of them. Everyone who buys a cd gets a "piece of art" in the most literal sense. as long as you don't spray too heavy the paint makes no difference to the playability of the disk.
    Damh beaten. And as jake said. How do you think they do those cool designs anyway?

Tech Wizard

The spray paint idea seemed pretty awesome! This is what I did though for my album. These days, DIY is the way to go for the independent artist.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jihadjoe75/4471740976/

Quote Originally Posted by dry_bones View Post
    These days, DIY is the way to go for the independent artist.
    i think lemon jelly have always taken that approach?

SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

You could use an epson printer that prints on cd's, just buy good quality cd's to burn on. I've been a graphic designer for years, send me your stuff and i'll take a look, and give ya some pointers on the design.

I've printed artwork on cd's and they look rad, if you just take some time to set it all up on the epson printer, and buy good cd's, you can get glossy surface, matte (my fav), or even clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast