Help for a new DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Help for a new DJ

I'm dj-ing at a wedding in a couple days for a friend of a friend and it's my first actual gig besides the occasional party or my own senior prom.

If you guys have any pointers for me, related to music choice, professionalism, or anything like that, I would love to hear it. Frankly I feel a little over my head right now, and I know some of you might have some wisdom to share.

Thanks!
    Roger

are they expecting normal wedding music? or you doing something more ravey?

in terms of professionalism, don't over do it with the mic

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Student

100% normal wedding music. It helps I grew up on that stuff (80's 90's Dance but I've pretty much only ever practiced mixing house and electro stuff and some Hip Hop.

Should I abandon Traktor and my VCI and just do MixMeister?

Any tips on the normal wedding music?

Tech Guru

man I would think a wedding has to be easy money.

The first hour is standard background music while folks show up and sit down, then you have the toast, the first dance, etc. People normally eat, order drinks, all the while you just have background music on. Then I would start with top 40 low bpms and just work my way up on bpms mixing up genre's until everyones up and dancing. Then towards the end of the night start slowing it back down in bpms and call it a night.

Barry White, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Bee Gees, Prince, Michael Jackson, Billy Idol, House of Pain - Jump Around, Rob Base - It Takes 2, Some Commercial classic hip-hop: 50 Cent - In Da Club, Will Smith - Gettin Jiggy, Nelly - Hot In Herre, Beyonce.

Think FUN ! FUN ! FUN !
    Arrow - Hot Hot Hot, Clarence Carter - Strokin

Talk to the Bride and Groom and ask them to make you their personal request list. They might want some country music or some latin music. Remember that you need them to specify THEIR choice for The First Dance, The Father and the Bride dance, etc.

You really don't have to mix at all. Just blend them like a radio mix. Concentrate on your song selection.

Bring a pad and pencil/pen. Try to take some requests. The requests will give you an idea of their taste in music. When you take a request tell the person "OK ! but if I play it you promise me that you are going to get your friends out there dancing with you." ALWAYS say "yes i'll try to find it in here." to ALL requests. Even if you are sure you don't have it. If they come back and bother you say you are trying to find it but it might have been misplaced in a playlist folder etc. Usually some technical mumbo-jumbo will cut them off. If they come back again say it must hvae been accidentally deleted. " I can't believe it!" "Those damn back-up drives !"

Play funky mid-tempo stuff to get them going at first. Barry White - Just Can't Get Enough Of Your Love is a lockdown groover.

Remember people will go crazy for cheesy pop fun tracks when they have a few drinks in them. Bee Gees - Staying Alive is a drunken floor killer.

Make sure you have the classic line dance songs. Marcia Griffiths -Electric Boogie (Electric Slide) , The Cha Cha Slide, etc. These will help you out immensely.

Good luck and remember fun.
    Last edited by loverocket; 04-30-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Yeah man, it's all about the 80's 90's top tracks dont get crazy, should be easy

Tech Student

Hey - huge help guys, any other floor fillers?

Quote Originally Posted by roger.lem View Post
    Hey - huge help guys, any other floor fillers?
    My wife and I started are walk down the aisle to Sir Mix Alot's "Baby Got Back" and then had the DJ through the track over to the traditional wedding song. Got a good rise out of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    Yeah man, it's all about the 80's 90's top tracks dont get crazy, should be easy
    this is what annoys me about weddings.

i wanted something very breaksy at mine, but the dj we had was a rock dj (at bike rallies) by trade - and we had to have him beacuse he's friends with the inlaws.

needless to say he can do the wedding thing easily.

refused to put on my tear-out breaks mix i put together for the day to knob, lol

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    this is what annoys me about weddings.

i wanted something very breaksy at mine, but the dj we had was a rock dj (at bike rallies) by trade - and we had to have him beacuse he's friends with the inlaws.

needless to say he can do the wedding thing easily.

refused to put on my tear-out breaks mix i put together for the day to knob, lol
    That is bullshit. Make the bride and groom happy. It's their day !
    Especially the bride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast