How to handle cheap club owner?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to handle cheap club owner?

I've settled on a gig with a club owner and so far he managed to completely avoid the payment topic. DJing is a lot of fun for me and usually I don't NEED to be paid for it but firstly it'd be nice and secondly I'd have to travel a little to get there which would generate some cost for me.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience than me can give me some advice on how to ask to be paid (not a lot) in a professional manner.

Tech Guru

Problem solved.

Haha,alright... brb

This goes for all work in all businesses - you need to settle payment before you do your job and not afterwards. I would just call him up and give him a number that covers all your costs plus some decent wage, if he declines even though you're most likely reasonably priced he should fuck off
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Tech Mentor

If he doesn't want to pay act like its all ok, and then just no show your next gig.

That is unless you agreed to ever pay for free. Then the guy has you over a barrel.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If you work for free it's the same thing as saying my work isn't worth any money. Figure your costs for the event at the very least. That way your not paying him so you could DJ at his club.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Unless the owner is one of your friends, do not play for free. If he is your friend, make sure you get a free bar tab during your gig.

Janzak has it right... make it a contract up front.

Don't play for too cheap though. Know your worth.

good luck.

Tech Guru

Fine fine...take the civilized route...but trust me when I say this, bring one of these to the negotiation. Gotta give yourself the intimidation edge.

And nothing says intimidation like an angry badger.

Before I setup I ask my clients if we can "handle the paperwork so we can get to the fun part". They almost always get the hint an either pay me right then or let me know when they will have my $ to me. Don't let it slide! If you leave without getting paid you probably won't get paid at all. Always settle on the amount in advance, too, so you won't be pressured to negotiate on the night of your gig.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Why would you ever do a gig and not get paid for it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast