NEW to DJ-ing please help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default NEW to DJ-ing please help.

alright...I am basically a complete noob to djing, but would like to start. I'm looking towards more digital dj and i got 2 xone 1d's..what else do i need to get started?

Setup [give me recommendations!]:

Laptop [Im looking to get a new one since my laptop is a low on the requirments portion] whats the difference between PC VS Mac

Mixer: Xone 42 or 92 or Beringher DDM 4000 [want to do more midi and FX's]

Headphones: looking at the Xone 53's whats a good budget on headphones [looking to do bedroom dj to small parties.

Controllers: 2x Xone 1D's...should i go for 1x 1D and 1x 2D..so i dont need to get an audio interface. [like audio 8]

Audio: Audio 8?

Software: Traktor Pro

EFX: Pioneer 500 or 1000. what do you think?

also i installed my 1d to my laptop and it works, but i hear no sound when i play music through traktor pro...do i need a sound card? i thought i could use the sound card from my laptop..do you guys know what maybe the problem?

thanks for all the help!

Tech Mentor

ill give you a pointer, you're jumping way ahead of yourself.. if you want to get into dj'ing I would start small so you don't over whelm yourself. If you want to use traktor pro then get a VCI-100SE or go with the ddm4000. IMO the 1d's are more suitable for ableton, and the efx is more of a traditional setup, plus you could get almost get djm-800 for the price of the efx-1000, and the djm-800 has better fx capabilities in it + it's a damn good mixer. For budget headphones I would go with some Shure SRH750dj, shure has some of the best product support and they will replace your cans down the road for around $60 out of warranty, the guys at headfi give it awesome marks..

As for laptop, you can't go wrong with the 13" $1100 macbook pro (coming for a pc laptop user with a core i5, 4gb ram, 1gb ati 5650 ). IMO osx is better suited for digital dj'ing, you don't have to worry about win7 x64 drivers, and dpc issues.

Tech Guru

I own a new 13" MacBook Pro, it's like sex. But honestly, it's all preference. This big thing with me is work flow and user experience, and OSX delivers above and beyond there.

Anyway, set a budget for yourself first and foremost. The Mac vs. PC debate has been long discussed to no end if you look around the forums, ultimately, it ends with the same stalemate: each have their uses and strengths over the other, but nothing is factually better.

Also, if you favor MIDI over anything else, the DDM-4000 is a monster, and a great deal. I've owned Behringer mixers before (my first being a DX-1000, ancient!) and they are tankish mixers. Besides, DVS systems offer great effects, so its kinda like two birds with one stone.

For headphones: my preference for a decade has been Sennheiser HD-25's. This also has the most recent headphones taken into consideration. I own a pair of Pioneer HDJ-2000's, they're great, but the HD-25's still win me over.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the responses...reason wh I'm kinda jumping ahead as in equipment is because my friend upgraded his equipment and I got 2 xone 1d's for free and id raather try and get better gear than upgrading later on.

I was looking at the djm 800 vs the xone 92..but then I read up on the ddm 4000 which is a bang for its buck.

Also as far as setting up my xone 1 to my laptop..I can't hear the sound it playing music..do I need a sound card? Because I heard you can use the laptops..and when I do get my setup together..do I still need to get an audio interface like audio 8?

Thanks.

Tech Wizard

What are some requirements for pc..as of right now I have
    Hp 2.6ghz
    4gig ram
    250gig hd
    But its vista 64 [won't work with xone 1d] ill get vista 32 or windows 7.
    Is that good enough?
    And as far as the mac..I saw some troubles with the mac and the usb hubs? I glanced through it but didn't really focus on the issue.

Oh and speakers...I did not mention about this but I'm also interested in buying speaks, etc. I need it to basically fill a room with good music...what would I need with the speakers?

i was thinking of upgrading to a setup like this from my reloop dj2 how is it going for you?

Tech Guru

get a mac. seriously, both traktor pro and serato both run 100% smoother and more reliably on a mac than they do on a pc.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Convert

Mac is a lot better for djing IMO, there is a lot more programs to use such as Djay and Traktor etc. Mac does not need drivers for many controllers and is just a plug n go, when I first got into Djing I already bought a Windows computer and it gave me hell with drivers and everything and took me a day or 2 to set it all out, then my mate comes over with his Mac and he just plugged it in, put in the tsi and it all worked. Also you can dual boot a mac with windows so if you decide you wanna use windows for something such as gaming you can just switch over to windows. It's a win win really,

one thing i recommend is, note this is how i did it, i doesnt have to work best for you, but i think this approach is more rewarding as you dont imitate other people, you develope your own style which FITs you

1)
    get the program of your choice (one of the top choices are traktor pro/serato or ableton; watch some vids to see what catches your eye at first)
    download the trial version of the application you like

try it out, watch some more vids, if your confident with it, use it for the trial period then buy it afterwards..

if you dont like it, try another app, or if you have the time, try all of them to see whats best for you

1**)
    i think in your case, if you played a little with traktor, you cant go wrong

2)
    now the majority of people buy their midi controllers BEFORE they know what do do with them

my advice is to try out all the features first (that includes watching vids from other peeps what they do with their app), and then you decide what features you will like to use very often

try to use them with mouse & keyboard, and see if you like them (if you dont like them, switch to other ones)

2**)
    -> do that so long until you find the majority of relevant things you would like to do with your app

3)
    now if you get to the limits of your mouse & keyboard
    (you will notice that you could more things at a time, but your limited with the controls at hand)

3**) buy a controller that eases up the job of doing exactly the things you want to do!

EDIT: i have seen many many users which are using an APC40 for traktor pro:
    either way they are really really dumb as they wasted their money on something they cant scratch with
    or they dont have the money (coz they bought the apc for other purposes)
    or they are really really smart as they have everything setup w/o the need of a jogwheel
    or something i forgot , but the point is to avoid option 1, you have to know what you want to do and what piece of equipment you need for it; if you have the money though, buy everything
    Last edited by Negotiator; 07-02-2010 at 09:18 AM.

hi basicz! i have the xone 53s and i have to say im pretty satisfied. i did alot of research on headphones beforehand and i remembered after i bought them i got buyers remorse immediately. they were really huge, clunky and i felt like some flashy mofo dj wannabe. but eff it i got over it cause the sound is pure pleasure...i put them on, and its almost like returning to my mothers womb. plus the big cushion cans are comfy, they keep my ears warm in the winter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast