Hey All (Introduction & a few questions)
    Tech Wizard

Default Hey All (Introduction & a few questions)

I am a new member of DJtechtools, so here I am saying whats up to everyone. I look forward to learning the art of controllerism from everyone who wishes to share information and techniques with me.

I have been playing guitar and producing music with my guitar/midi keyboard on garageband for about a year. I also have bongos which I use to record too. Before I picked up a Macbook pro, I used Audacity to record lol.

Anyway I have been doing a lot of research over the past 2 months, as I am getting more into mash-ups, EDM, and DJ sets - even top 40 mixes. I like all music, regardless if its mainstream or underground.

I have been trying to decide whether or not to get turntables or a midi controller, and I like the movement going on right now with controllerism. It embraces technology, and allows for more advanced mixes in my opinion. I am going to dedicate myself to mastering the craft.

I still do not have any hardware or software - other than demo versions of Ableton Live, Traktor Duo, and Virtual DJ. The Bridge by Serato/Ableton looks like it will be the future of controllerism. So I am thinking about getting a VCI-300 and a Launchpad or APC 20/40 for a complete set up. My first question is with the launchpad or apc 20/40 will I be able to play the virtual instruments in Ableton? I would like to add my own flair to the tracks that I will be playing. Do you think the bridge is going to be the future of controllerism? the possibilities seem endless...jammin for days on end lol

If I don't go with that setup, I will get a VCI-100 and a MASCHINE! (i feel like I would never leave my room if i got one of them lol.)

Anyway I'm just sayin whats up. I probably won't be posting much on here unless I have questions - but i'll be reading everything there is trying to arm myself with good information to make my first purchase.

Controllerism is the future. Rock on....

Skylinez

Welcome to the forums,
    On your first question, yes you can play vsts on the launchpad/apc, it's a little awkward at first, but it can be a lot of fun when you get the hang of it.
    On your second question, No i don't thing the bridge will be the future of controllerism. It's a great idea for both parties, but has been poorly executed so far. With a little creativity you can get easily get traktor and ableton working simultaneously. But i think the Ms.Pinky max4live patch is going to be the future. DVS inside of ableton!!!!!Oh yeah.
    Here's the thread with a little about it...
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8500

One again welcome, and remember that it's your setup, so go with what you think will fit your style the best.

Tech Wizard

Wow that seems pretty sweet. I like the fact that people can come up with creative hacks to do some cool ish.

Thanks for taking the time to respond quickly Drew! Could you explain how the Bridge has been poorly executed so far? I thought it hasn't come out yet. Or are you talking about how it has been "in the making" for quite some time now...

As far as remixing goes, what software is usually best for making remixes - Ableton?

Peace.
    Last edited by SkyLinez; 05-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.

The poor execution that i'm talking about is how long it's taking, along with the recent news that it will come out in stages. With the limited control slowly becoming more inclusive.

With remixing, or any kind of producing, it's best to go with whatever software you're most comfortable with. I still think some of my best songs were written with cakewalk, circa '98. For no other reason than i knew that program inside and out, and my work-flow at the time seemed really smooth and natural.