what software do you use and why?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default what software do you use and why?

Simple question..I'm trying to find a good software use..I'm pretty sure the are some what all the same, but do any software benefit in other ways?

I'm playing hip hop/ electro/ trance/ house

Right now I'm using traktor pro

Traktor Scratch Pro

Because I've been using Traktor since Final Scratch, and the workflow works for me. I held a residency for nearly 10 years, as well as gigging private parties, and the Native Instruments progs have NEVER crashed on me (using Dell computers). I'm sure Serato Scratch Live works just as well, but Traktor was what I got used to....had it failed me, i'm sure I'd be with the other camp today.

Tech Wizard

Question about traktor scratch..is it basically the same as traktor pro, but it just has time-code?

Right now i'm using serato 2.0.

Because i was hyped about the bridge. But now i'm waiting on some new traktor time codes and i'm switching back to TSP. Serato is nice, but traktor offers so much more. And i love having 4 decks, 2 with timecodes, 2 all digital.

Tech Wizard

Can you give me an example on how tsp offers more than ssl?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    Right now i'm using serato 2.0.

Because i was hyped about the bridge. But now i'm waiting on some new traktor time codes and i'm switching back to TSP. Serato is nice, but traktor offers so much more. And i love having 4 decks, 2 with timecodes, 2 all digital.
    Thats an interesting concept. Explain why you would work both time codes and digital
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

@basics- More cue points, design your own beat grid(comes in handy on songs that are constant) more effects.

@Abyrne7- First off, i play in a 2 man group so it makes this alot easier. One of us will be mixing "traditionally",but not really as we use lots of effects/loop rolls/other tricks on the main 2 decks. While the other one is picking out little snippets to be brought in on the 3rd deck, and doing a little juggle on deck 4. Or cutting up an a capella and tricking out another sample. It makes of an interesting show. We'll have a promo video up soon so everybody can check it out.

for what you're playing i'd stick with TP. i play(ed) a lot of the same stuff and it's pretty dope for those genres, just due to fx, looping, cue points, etc. they all come in handy in making those genres more interesting.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I've been with Traktor since some Studio 3 version, right now I'm on TP of course and I have no intention of switching to anything else. The only exception would be Ableton but at the moment I don't feel that it would add anything to my sets and it seems a bit more limited for traditional DJing compared to Traktor.
    I'm also not so much into timecode so I've never tried SSL but from what I've seen it looks like an odd deliberately cut-down version of Traktor. Same goes for Itch. What's up with that GUI, the limited effects, the lack of 4 decks and most of all the soundcard restrictions? And yes, I do regularly use at least 3 decks in my sets; for in-set preparations and mashups.

the soundcard restrictions are how serato offers the software and all updates for free. it's really not that strange either, TSP needs a certified soundcard or mixer to work.

there are a million traktor vs SSL threads, it's pretty much beating a dead horse IMO.

SSL is more about the old school, a great vinyl dvs that is reliable, that doesn't offer sync. If used correctly, the sampler in SSL gives you more then two "decks"

a good dj should be able to use either program and still rock the house
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast