oh forget you apple, any have some advice itunes has mucked up my computer
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default oh forget you apple, any have some advice itunes has mucked up my computer

im really pissed right now and rather then rant im just going to try to list what happened in chronological order. this is a windows xp machine i figure this is a pretty tech literate forum so i figured i would try asking here before moving to other sources. and please - i am pissed off as it is i dont want to hear any mac fanboy crap.

- i uninstalled some of the crap that apple piggybacks on itunes install (namely bonjour)
    - itunes stops working due to my excisions
    - i go to use ableton, and i use a novation automap controller. the automap server fails launch due to an inability to find dnssd.dll
    - i look up dnssd.dll on google and see that it is a bonjour/apple extension.
    so...
    - i uninstall itunes all together.
    - bonjour still shows up on the add/remove programs list and will not uninstall nor will it delete itself from the list saying because it cannot find the msi file. the bonjour folder does not exist any more in program files.
    - now everytime i try to reinstall bonjour or itunes the process cant be completed because the computer insists it cannot remove an old file that doesnt even exist

frankly at this point i dont even care about getting itunes back, i just want automap to work again

at least you learned your lesson (i hope): don't mess with stuff if you don't know what it does. anyway, ideas:

1. look up what files are installed by bounjour. now find all of them and delete them. basically do a manual uninstall.

2. get someone to throw you a copy of their files, put them in the right locations on your drive, and see if you have some luck that way. you could at least put them in place and see if the uninstall will go through.

hope this helps
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

Sounds to me like a shitty uninstall. I would recommend fixing your registry.

i dont want to sound harsh but i should be able to uninstall software that i didnt knowingly choose to install without it doing this sorta shit. i would say this falls pretty close to the definition of malware. as far as i know, automap worked just fine without bonjour or any apple software as it ran just fine before...

but anyways - there are no folders or files left from bonjour to delete. so thats out of the question. and ive used ccleaner to clean up my registry but i still receive the same error messages. ive tried downloading microsofts install cleanup, but the file i download fails to launch. downloaded it from multiple sources - same thing everytime

Get a copy of the file that the uninstaller is trying to delete that is no longer there, and put it there, just to get the uninstaller to finish, then reinstall.

Either that, or try again from safe mode.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Tech Guru

Yeah, that sort of shit is the reason why I stopped using Norton products in general (especially their anti virus) years ago. I honestly think that companies that do a half ass job with their uninstall process should be liable for stuff like that.

Anyhow, Registry Mechanic works fine for me, but if you say that you already ran a thorough registry scan, then obviously the problem lies elsewhere.

Its odd because theres plenty of sources which state that this is either a registry issue, infection, or hardware problem. Of course that doesn't really say a whole lot.

Have you tried consulting this page?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...sing-error.htm

bah well thanks for the help - seems im going to have no choice but to do a system restore

+1 hate for itunes. I still don't quite understand why people rely on such a woeful program.

Tech Guru

iTunes licks mah bawls on Windows OS, but I sort of caved into using it lately given that I purchased a newer MacBook Pro. Of course on that, it works beautifully lol.

Anyhow, that sucks about the system restore. Usually what I do on my desktop is create a barebone Windows installation, install all my programs, get them setup, etc. Then run Acronis true image to create a restore partition which can restore the PC back to its original state. I have a 2nd drive which stores user files, data, music, etc - and the main drive is OS and programs only.

Really kicks ass to give the middle finger to any problem by pressing F11 to perform a 3 minute OS restore with no bullshit to endure lol.

You use a desktop or laptop?

Tech Mentor

Yeahh I don't use itunes except to get songs onto my ipod.

To manage my music I just manually make folders in my music (i.e. my documents). It takes longer to make playlists but it's much more efficient because I can actually make folders inside folders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast