1 gig laptop?

Thread: 1 gig laptop?

Default 1 gig laptop?

I got an old HP laptop from my mom that is maxed out at 1gig of ram. I'm thinking this won't be enough to run traktor on (also no firewire so I can't use my firebox with it) but I do have an xponent so maybe I could use it with torq? Idk. My main controller is a vci-100 arcade.

Anyway, my question is, what do you think is the best way to salvage this old laptop and make something useful out of it? I think the other laptop we have is maxed at 2g... I also have a maschine and a third macbook pro we can throw into the equation.

Some thoughts so far are using it as a DMX controller for the lights or using it house some kind of synced software... We eventually want to do a sort of rave show but with more live improvised type stuff that we organically create together on stage.

Tech Guru

It should run Traktor Pro, but if you say it's maxed out at 1GB of RAM, I would venture to guess that the processor is somewhat archaic. Do you happen to know the other specs or a model number for it?.

+1 on more specs! My current lappy is an HP with 1 gig ram/1.6ghz processing and works fine. I get sketched out sometimes, but it hasn't failed me yet. Maybe this can be a nice backup for the MBP?

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Guru

Yeah, specs would really nail down a more solidified idea of what you have. Either way though, if you clean install a lightweight version of XP, and throw GameBooster on it to improve performance and generally tidy up some processes, it should run adequate. You may run into some issues though, its hard to say.

Its an HP ze5604rs. I think it's like a 2.9ghz if I remember reading correctly. I haven't tried running traktor pro on it yet because I didn't know if I wanted to use up the other install on it (you can only install in 2 places, right?). Right now I just have it installed on my desktop that I just recently built... which has 12gigs of ram in it lol.

Either way, I guess I will need to get a firewire pcmcia card for it, but then that also means I will need a USB wifi adapter, since it looks like there is only one expansion slot and right now that is being taken up by the wifi card. (If I installed traktor on this laptop then it would be running the DJ booth off the living room/dance floor, and sometimes when we are having house parties I'd like to be able to fire up youtube or pandora or whatever for some random tunes... I guess really I could just not be lazy and make up some generic filler playlists, but I digress)

I don't have the hookups to go from the laptop to the mixer to be able to use the nice speakers without using the firebox... unless I use the xponent soundcard, but then I don't really like using the xponent with traktor (at least with the mapping I have for it now, I haven't tried it in a while).

As long as you do the proper optimization you should be fine.

I occasionally run Traktor Pro and Torq on my netbook and it's only a 900mhz celeron with 1 gig of ram.

You'd be surprised by how un-demanding DJ app can be on the CPU.