Sony MDR-V900HD - Good headphone

Default Sony MDR-V900HD - Good headphone

Hey, I'm just curious on everyones opinion on the Sony MDR-V900HD headphone. I've got a chance to buy a pair used for $50, should I do it? Does anyone own these headphones?

*? in title.
    Last edited by misha_val; 05-05-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Guru

Be careful, especially on ebay, those headphones along with the HDJ-1000 are notorious for having fakes at cheap prices which are made in China. Obviously, they are of lower build and sound quality.

As for the actual quality, they're not bad. For me, they didn't isolate enough noise, if you're familiar with the MDR-V600, its the same exact frame, but with V700 "guts" in which produce louder, bumpier low end response. That doesn't necessarily constitute good balanced sound, but for DJ usage, it's perfectly fine.

Aside from those factors, they are quite comfortable to wear, and provide excellent padding unlike the V700 and V500 which produce splitting headaches when worn for more than an hour. The ear cups are very thick, and non-leather, which means they won't crack and get hard like the V700's did. They will however, flake off after much usage, which frankly I prefer - as it has no effect on the isolation or comfort of wearing them.

If I could offer an alternate and equally comparable headphones at roughly the same price from the Sony line, the MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 are absolutely fantastic sound quality and build wise. Tankish frame, comfy, solid isolation, and great flat sound quality which makes it a nice choice for studio or DJ use. The differences between the V6 and 7506 are nill, and the V6 is cheaper.

Hope that helps

Tech Mentor

DON'T!

I made the bad decision of buying a pair of mdr-v700s on ebay for 50$ thinking I was getting a deal. Turned out they were used and faulty. I had to even get them opened up and saudered just to get them usable! I'll never buy headphones from ebay again!

Tech Guru

OP said V900's, not V700's :P

And to backup what rt24 said, yes - never buy used V700's, it's just a headache waiting to unfold as they're notorious for falling apart even after moderate usage. The hinging is weak, the pads get stiff and crack from skin oils/sweat, making them even less comfortable to wear (which is hard to imagine, but trust me lol).

If it's a local person selling the V900's, inspect them heavily before buying.

For more information about counterfeit V900's, refer to this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7115048AARTKG0

Hmmm... they're from a friend. I think that he mentioned that he bought them off ebay for 50 bucks though. What are some foolproof ways to tell if they're fake when I check em out tomorrow?
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Guru

Honestly, right off the bat, they sound like they're fakes. They wont produce the same audio quality as the actual thing, and I believe that fake headphones will cause hearing damage due to poor quality control standards. At the very least, they will sound really dull and muddy, even though they may produce loud volume (which isn't always a great thing, pending on sound quality).

Also, if the headphone jack is plastic instead of full on metal, that's a dead giveaway. That's just one of many things though.

My recommendation would be to follow the link I posted in my response, and examine the pictures of the counterfeit. Print the more vital ones out so you have something to compare his headphones to.

Here is another link which will tell a bit more:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=62386008