Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3, but without-CD-edition?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3, but without-CD-edition?

Hi,

I'm about to purchase some dj gear in a near future and I'm all into this digital stuff, I really think that the future is computer djs with controllers and MIDI-stuff. CD is like vinyl...old...

As many other I really love the Pio CDJ-1000 MK3 but not only is it expensive as hell, it carries CD. Do you think that Pio or some1 else will make a MK3-ish MIDI controller? Price would be lower and I would buy it instantly...

Your thoughts on this? Sure I love the VCI but two pairs of MK3's and a standalone mixer is heaven.

what's wrong with the 800 mkii's?

Tech Wizard

Ehm, they're CD-players? Re-read my post and you'll discover that I'm not looking for CD-players...

The cdj400 series are both Cd-Decks as well Midi Controllers. So a set of these...

http://www.pioneerdj.com/gear_cdj400.html

Doubled up with a djm800

http://www.pioneerdj.com/gear_djm800.html

Would surely suit the needs of the digital aspect with keeping a degree of a traditional dj setup.

... as well there are may other dj styled controllers out there on the market.
    Last edited by jasonj; 04-17-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frosse View Post
    Ehm, they're CD-players? Re-read my post and you'll discover that I'm not looking for CD-players...
    shiiit....i'm an idiot. apology!!!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jasonj View Post
    The cdj400 series are both Cd-Decks as well Midi Controllers. So a set of these...

http://www.pioneerdj.com/gear_cdj400.html

Doubled up with a djm800

http://www.pioneerdj.com/gear_djm800.html

Would surely suit the needs of the digital aspect with keeping a degree of a traditional dj setup.

... as well there are may other dj styled controllers out there on the market.
    I like the cdj400 and all but I was more looking att the possibility of a pioneerish midiplayer without the CD. Maybe there isnt anyone.

Check Out Pioneer's MEP-7000 and SEP-C1 Announced At This Year's NAMM.
    www.pioneerprodj.com/news.html
    This Seems To Be Where Pioneer Are Going With Digital DJ Control Systems.
    They will be available in June with a manufacturer suggested retail price of $2,299 and $1,199, respectively.

Hope This Helps
    The Duelist
    Last edited by The Duelist; 04-17-2008 at 05:11 PM.
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

controll surfaces connected to digital signals is the future. MIDI might eventually die but this format will stick for a while. So, i would ask you, if your down to get on board with the next generation: why not try and forget about the interfaces used by the last generations?

the cdj series was a great cd player but does it need to be a midi controller? I think we can do better... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    controll surfaces connected to digital signals is the future. MIDI might eventually die but this format will stick for a while. So, i would ask you, if your down to get on board with the next generation: why not try and forget about the interfaces used by the last generations?

the cdj series was a great cd player but does it need to be a midi controller? I think we can do better... :-)
    I agree there, these analogue devices are pricey and as you dive further and further into controllerism you will realise more and more how these devices really are not suited to our art as the layouts do not translate to controllerism as well as some of their cheaper midi counterparts.

Even if your mixing externally you lose some control over what is possible with digital, especially when it comes what you can do with your master track. So the built in effects wouldn't be used, because you can use VST's which are much much nicer, you would not use the EQ's because Smart-Mixing is much nicer , and all of this you are paying a premium for but wont use if you push digital to its full potential.

2x cdj's = $2,398
    1x deck = $2,299
    Total = $4,697

I could buy a hell of a lot of midi controllers for that, and do alot of things with a mix that would not be possible with this setup. A VCI RRPs at about $600-$700 so you could buy 6 VCI-100's for that *mind boggles at possibilities* Giving you 6, crossfaders, 12 jogs, 12 faders, 12 temp faders, 24 effects knobs, 48 EQ knobs, and many many many buttons. Not that i suggest anyone buy 6 VCI's, but a slew of different midi devices really does provide much more bang for your buck and will give you way more control over your mixes than their previous generation hybrid counterparts.

I have to admit though, what the cd'j does have going for it is the high resolution fader and the high resolution jog, but as (i assume) these are a in a proprietory format(ie not midi) so that reduces the applications they can be used for somewhat So this only gives you a load of oddly placed buttons across the control that have to be adapted to controllerism. Not incredibly usefull in my opinion if you are embracing controllerism to its full potential , but an ok back up unit if your pc dies on you.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post

What I would like is a cdj-ish format but without the CD and with the MIDI, wouldnt that be something? Would CDJ-400 be considered as "Next gen" or "Kinda Next gen due to CD support"? It's a first step for Pio with the 400.

An all MIDI CDJ-1000 MK3 is what I want It would be called MJ-2000 MK4

...though I'll probably go with the VCI-300.
    Last edited by frosse; 04-20-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast