Help needed Retro Mixing (80's music)
    Tech Convert

Default Help needed Retro Mixing (80's music)

hey guys,

i got a new contract with a club where i should play only Retro of 80's.i am using Traktor Scratch pro with Novation Nocturn.But i am facing problem with mixing this kind of songs,if any one can help me with this that will be great full.Especially Ean.i am looking forward with a video tutorial.
    Also i use Ableton 8 for djing.

Regards

Subi

Don't even bother to beatmatch unless it's for a special effect between tracks you know work together (OMD to Gary Numan, that kind of thing). Most 80's and Goth clubs I was dragged to^H^H^H attended just use "crash mixing" - just crossfade from one to the other quickly without any attempt at matching.

In fact, my buddy's early attempts at DJing an 80's club didn't even use a crossfader, he used the "quarter turn" trick on the SL1200s. It takes a quarter turn to get to speed, so cue up the track to the first note, spin it back a quarter turn and just hit "start" on the deck at the right time!

Now that's quality old school mixing.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Don't even bother to beatmatch unless it's for a special effect between tracks you know work together (OMD to Gary Numan, that kind of thing). Most 80's and Goth clubs I was dragged to^H^H^H attended just use "crash mixing" - just crossfade from one to the other quickly without any attempt at matching.

In fact, my buddy's early attempts at DJing an 80's club didn't even use a crossfader, he used the "quarter turn" trick on the SL1200s. It takes a quarter turn to get to speed, so cue up the track to the first note, spin it back a quarter turn and just hit "start" on the deck at the right time!

Now that's quality old school mixing.
    That's what I did. None of that funky fader voodoo for me unless I was doing something experimental.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Im a 80s dj! Yes you can beatmatch the music. check out mixcloud.com there is several dj mixes on the site. PM me ur info and I can send you a mini mix.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Convert

Default hey

thanks for that,i would like to listen to those mixs,even i met some of the dj's in my town who do fantastic mix with pioneers on 80's music..so send me the link if u could...and u can catch me on myspace too....

www.myspace.com/djsubivk

regards

subi