adapt ni massive to ableton workflow
    Tech Mentor

Default adapt ni massive to ableton workflow

hey there!

in my opinion, the ableton workflow with instruments and effects on the bottom is just wonderful. i don't want a second display, so it helps very much with my workflow inside live.

however, i'm using the ni massive synthesizer very often in recent projects. opening massive and fiddling around in massive, then jumping back to the live arrangement view kind of disturbs me a little bit.

is it possible to somehow fit the massive synthesizer into the bottom instrument part of live? maybe the macros only for a start, that would help very much..

i mean all the macros are midi controlable, so it would be possible in theory, right? maybe a max4live patch?

greets

Tech Guru

Why don't you just set up a rack with massive as an instrument in the rack and map your macro rack knobs to massive's macro knobs?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Why don't you just set up a rack with massive as an instrument in the rack and map your macro rack knobs to massive's macro knobs?
    That can be part of the solution.

Thing is there is just so much stuff massive can do, and its not all midi mappable.

What you could do is create the bulk of your patch within massive with the window open, then map all the controls that you want to mess with the most to 8 macro knobs.

Theres no way you could create compelling patches with just 8 macro knobs from scratch though, but 8 macro knobs would be fine for tweaking an already created patch.

<3 massive !

Tech Mentor

I agree with Bento here.

There is plenty of things to tweak with Massive. I used to have this bad habit of wanting to access EVERYTHING in different plugs and effects. What I found out is I have a better time performing when I give myself parameters to work within.

The best thing About Massive via Ableton, is each preset in Massive can be configured with 8 Macros. What I do is Map those 8 Macros in Massive to the 8 Macros in my Ableton Rack. I almost always want access to the Filter Cutoff and Resonance for any Massive preset. So I will make it a habit to ALWAYS map them to Macros 1 and 4. I almost always want access to some FX parameters, or Like a Dry Wet, so I will Map that to 3 and 4. In short, I keep my favorite, most used parameters in the same spots, and usually have 3 or 4 left over Macro knobs for incedentals, or special tweaks.

When I've created a sound & start mapping macros, I try to keep in mind what will work best with Macros, what will I really WANT to effect and create by turning a knob, fader, or button.

Over time I find I usually only use 1 or 2 knobs for tweaking most presets.