Question On Energy Levels
    Tech Convert

Default Question On Energy Levels

so Iv only been mixing for 3 months now, and I posted a mix up on the other section of these forums with a piece of work I threw together, One of the comments was building tension, I feel like Im pretty good at blending songs in slowly, but how do you guys really make the crowd feel the mix coming IE Building Tension? I know this is a very basic to you guys, but I cant figure it out. Also I have never played with FX's At all. I play Electro House and sometimes I feel the song can get a little repetitive and maybe use some other motion via FX's? but how should I go about doing this? how do you guys know what fx to drop and when to drop it? thanks again I appreciate you guys and look forward to see the comments.

what u mixin with traktor, serato, ableton, cdj's, vinyl...?

Tech Convert

VCI100 SE and TSP

WELL....since you're using TSP, just hit the "Buid Tension" button and you're all set!

J/k

Ean posted a video not too long ago that details some transitions, and if I recall correctly, some of those were geared toward building tension. Have a check on the home page.

Tech Guru

well... a big part of mixing is recognizing song structure. Electro house isn't known for complex layers, but there is definitely a formula to it. Basically you just need to read the crowd.

Most electro house songs will have a pretty massive build up during the break, as they come up to the second drop. You can increase these build ups by using some effects like verb, iceverb, digi lofi, formant filter, and gater. The second drop is pretty much your peak energy point.

I'd say go check out Eans vid, cause it definitely has some good info on transition styles.

The basics of it is, you dont want to mix out of something at the drop, into another song at the intro. When you listen to a song you can pretty much count how many elements there are in it as they come in at the end of each phrase. The artist starts to remove those elements piece by piece towards the end of the track. If you keep a mental count of these elements, you can mix effectively into another song which is at a point that has as many elements, thus you dont lose energy.

I'm sorry if thats kinda hard to follow hahaha... its pretty jumbled.

most tracks have something in them for building up prior to the 'drop', just timing that right imo, that's about as far as i go on that. prefer a more choppy/mashed mix style. i do use effects to build up on mixes, mainly filter/reverb combos with making & halving loops and the odd bit of gater.
    (or the sweet spot on my nano for the beatslicer)

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud