Help - Need to decide on TT Decks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help - Need to decide on TT Decks

Hiya!

Right, so I have a pair of Vestax PDX2000's that are fucked. The Tonearms are both damaged.

So my choice is now:

1) Get 2 x Tonearms @ $100 each. Repair my decks. They are killer and would love to keep em.

2) I have the chance to get a pair of Stanton STR8-100's with Ortofon carts for $350. Still in the box.

So my question is, would I be happy with the Stanton's after I been spoilt on the PDX2000's?

The PDX's are a bit banged up but still excellent!

I have always been weary of Stanton.....while I know the 150's are the shit....will the 100's satisfy me?

Who has STR8-100's.....what they like?

This is just for bedroom studio....not playing out etc.

PLEASE...and reports will be great!

I know all the specs of both these makes etc....and I will def check them out first before handing over my $$.

CHEERS!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

PDX = 2.0kg of torque
    Stanton Str8 100 = 2.2kg of torque
    Just to put that into perspective for the new guys the ST 150's have 4.5kg of torque

So in the torque department they are the same.

The St 100's have a keylock function that the PDX's dont (well not that i am aware of anyway)

The St 100's also have a reverse feature which is nice.

So while the 100's are an upgrade, its not a hell of a big upgrade. You could pick them up until you find a good deal on some 150's then sell them at the same price you bought the 100's - wouldn't really lose anything that way and you got some turntables to keep you entertained while you play with those.

yeah....basically what I am after is will I be happy with this ...having gotten used to other decks.

I mean...if they have the SL feel....and PDX torque....then I am sold.

The Keylock is apparently CRAP tho....
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

From Scratchworx:
    The key lock feature on the Stanton is the best I have heard on any turntable. Having said this though this is not a reason to buy the turntable. Key locks work quite well up to about +-5% pitch range but anything after that becomes broken up too much making the key lock an effect at extreme pitch ranges. The key lock can be used in a sneaky way though as putting it on helps disguise the pitch bending when you alter the speed of the record.
    Thats on the 150 anyway, im not sure if it uses the same keylock on the 100 but i would assume so - assumptions are dangerous things though

yeah, its just that I read a good couple reviews and saw that this was mentioned.

Well....I am not gonna use their keylock cuz I will be using Traktor and TC's.

The keylock will run internally...not so?

OK.....collecting my coins now.....gonna try get them tomorrow.

Yeah god.. whatever you do dont turn on the deck keylock if your using timecode vinyl Software keylock will work fine

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    i would assume so - assumptions are dangerous things though
    ass/u/me, oh yeah.

Mate has the 100's for learning to scratch. He likes them. They also have two outs, a phono and a line (phono pre-amp built in).

I didn't think you were paying for repair, from what you wrote about the PDXs' demise ;-)

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

yeah.....I dunno....i think I will get these decks and then either sell the PDX's for spares....and make some money back.

Or....I will try and sort em out in time and then sell em.

Basically,....the arrow points to the spot where it is broken.

I see now that the copper shaft....is just a housing for the inner hollow copper screw.

Its the inner screw that is broken....just where it comes out the copper housing to connect to the tonearm.

Wires are broken too.

The little circle inside the larger one shows the inner copper hollow screw.

Maybe I can get one made.

Tech Mentor

late on this but i rock(well used to) str8-100s and like them better than 1200s. They are amazing for the price

2 str8 100s for the price of 1 used 1200 is a no brainer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast