Recommendations on turntables - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I guess, I just figured for a starting setup that the $500 traktor scratch and then turntables and a mixer on top of that might be a little too much, but if your just expanding then that's you're call...

Tech Guru

Yeah, its probably gonna be about 1100-1200 dollars. thats with the Audio 4 dj, a decent - good battle or 2 channel mixer (extra good if you find one used in great condition) and 2 Tech 12s

If you are going to go midi, its true, a used vci + audio 2 + Traktor pro = aroung 600, which is half the price. You will be mixing internally, which isnt really a problem, other than the general feel of the knobs. I find the VCI xfader... not great (as in, response inside traktor), so internal scratching is overly difficult, but not impossible. Initial costs of this setup are definitely lower, and the combo is a powerful one.

As far as digital goes, you could also opt for 2 x1s, audio 2 dj, and the external mixer of your choice. LOTS of options from the digital side

CDJs still dont fit in there since a pair of 400s, brings you up to 800ish (you could grab used 800s for under a grand, maybe), then you buy a mixer, and you dont even have Traktor Pro, or a soundcard.

Plus everyone knows tech 12's get the girls..they want to try scratching, they don't know what to make of a vci haha

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    Yeah, its probably gonna be about 1100-1200 dollars. thats with the Audio 4 dj, a decent - good battle or 2 channel mixer (extra good if you find one used in great condition) and 2 Tech 12s

If you are going to go midi, its true, a used vci + audio 2 + Traktor pro = aroung 600, which is half the price. You will be mixing internally, which isnt really a problem, other than the general feel of the knobs. I find the VCI xfader... not great (as in, response inside traktor), so internal scratching is overly difficult, but not impossible. Initial costs of this setup are definitely lower, and the combo is a powerful one.

As far as digital goes, you could also opt for 2 x1s, audio 2 dj, and the external mixer of your choice. LOTS of options from the digital side

CDJs still dont fit in there since a pair of 400s, brings you up to 800ish (you could grab used 800s for under a grand, maybe), then you buy a mixer, and you dont even have Traktor Pro, or a soundcard.
    Well my equipment right now is a Hercules RMX and I already bought Traktor Scratch Pro (anticipating adding the timecoded vinyl to my setup once I had used the demo with the RMX for a couple months). So for now I can buy the turntables and run their outputs into the RMX and into Traktor can't I? Eventually I would probably want to upgrade that but that plan will work wont it?
    Thanks

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bkag View Post
    Well my equipment right now is a Hercules RMX and I already bought Traktor Scratch Pro (anticipating adding the timecoded vinyl to my setup once I had used the demo with the RMX for a couple months). So for now I can buy the turntables and run their outputs into the RMX and into Traktor can't I? Eventually I would probably want to upgrade that but that plan will work wont it?
    Thanks
    someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you need traktor scratch pro and it only works with an audio4/8, or maybe it has to be traktor certified?
    Check out my EDM blog: http://lacedwithbass.com/

The audio interface needs to be traktor certified for timecode, which the RMX is not.

So you would still end up getting an audio4/8 or another mixer with a certified soundcard built in.

There used to be work-arounds, but not really anymore.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    The audio interface needs to be traktor certified for timecode, which the RMX is not.

So you would still end up getting an audio4/8 or another mixer with a certified soundcard built in.

pretty sure there's still a workaround but it involves an illicit method
    Check out my EDM blog: http://lacedwithbass.com/

as a traktor DVS user, i can recommend you to go for this setup if you do any of these things:

1. have actual vinyls you want to mix in
    2. incorporate a lot of turntablism in your sets (or just want the option to be able to)
    3. really really really love the feel of spinning records

i mention the last one simply because if that's all your going for..you might want to rethink this as it's a lot of money to drop just to get a certain feel. but if you don't do any of those things, it'll be a waste of time for you. you won't be able to ever work as fast as you would with a controller, so if you're more into the advantages of controllerism, just stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143
    The industry is not heading towards cdjs.
    this is false. vinyl *may* make a resurgence (that's a very very small chance), but CDs, whether burnt or bought, are the medium of the future (for now). vinyls wear faster, are more easily damaged, bulky, and are slowly being distributed and pressed less and less. with the rise of net labels, and really labels in general not doing nearly as many vinyl releases as digital, i give vinyl about 10-20 years until it's dead.

even if the "industry" isn't going toward CDJs..it's not going BACK to vinyl. no way.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

Hipnotikk, I still stand by my claim that cdjs are not the industry is heading. For now, we are already there. The industry can only move away from cdjs at this point, its the only option.

Think about it in terms of movies. Right now, most if not all movies are released on DVD (think cdj 1000) Dvd tries to upgrade to HD DVD (CDJ 2000) when BluRay (digital djing) comes out. HD DVD fails, despite support from many major players (microsoft and the Xbox 360, Many major Djs and the CDJ 2000). DVD is still doing okay today, but more and more movies are being released on Blu ray, and its quite obvious that it will become the standard inevitably.

I wouldt go so far to say cdj 2000s failed though, it was just a metaphor. I played around with one (actually the 900 was more fun) for a while and it was damn cool.

Vinyl was never a part of my claim, I was merely stating that the advice to go out and buy 1000s isnt really as founded as it might have been, 5 years ago. Yes, most, if not all, clubs will support you right now, and hell, they will probably support you for years to come, but unless pioneer pulls some crazy shit out of their ass... do you really think we will see a cdj 1000 for the next 20 years, like djs of the past 20-30 have seen turntables?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post

Oh really??? So I can't use the RMX's built in sound card to route the signal into Traktor??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast