DJ @ the Mall?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ @ the Mall?

Default DJ @ the Mall?

So the wife is dragging me through the shopping mall right now. We just walked into Guess Jeans and there is a DJ spinning house music with a pretty nice setup including a MBP w/ serato, two cdj 1000s and a Stanton mixer. The music is loud enough where you have to raise your voice to talk to the salesperson (sucks for them, they are probably damaging their ears while working at a clothing store).
    Anyways I couldn't help but laugh at this situation. I mean the guy needs to make a living but from what I can tell he spends most of his time flirting with the girls and folds clothes out of boredom. Occasionally he will walk over to his laptop throw his headphones around his neck while cueing up the next song. So here I am (wearing my midi fighter tshirt ) thinking WTF? Does this happen anywhere else? I wonder how much this guy makes? And of course... does be take requests?

Metropark does this, we have one @ the mall down in Dallas. It's sick there though, they only allow vinyl from what I can tell... The DJ's kill it there too.

Tech Guru

i live in Miami and have done gigs at the mall. Most of the Guess stores have a DJ booth set up. I know the few I went to in NYC all had DJ set up. Down here, stores in the mall will have DJ's for either big sales, events, release of a new line, etc. Easy gigs, and always fun.

I have seen it a couple of times here in VA... yeah, usually at big sales events.
    Music is what feelings sound like.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah my mate has DJd in a local clothes shop. Its a kinda high street Skate store, not too commercial but not exactly a proper skate shop.

I thought it was pretty cool. He played funk and stuff.

Selfridges (big kinda semi-posh store) in Manchester has a DJ playing a lot but he just plays crap obvious Hed-Kandi house to people paying £300 for Evisu Jeans and tacky Ed Hardy crap. Knob Heads.

The first Jack & Jones store I saw here in Montreal had a proper DJ counter when it opened. I am not a mall rat, so only once did I see a guy spinning (while walking past). Sound level was normal for a store in a mall with an open front. Last time I walked by, the set-up was gone and the look of the store had been overhauled.

The thing that really stuck out was not the DJ but the live mannequins in front of the store. They would stand out in front, almost in the isle, and every half hour or so go in and change! They too are gone, alas...

The mall DJ gig would seem a bit of a waste, as it is really just a human jukebox (does not fir in my books as a proper selector).

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    and tacky Ed Hardy crap. Knob Heads.
    Over there to huh?

We don't have any DJ's in our mall. Hell, they're lucky they got people in our mall.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    (does not fir in my books as a proper selector).

Phil.
    Now that id love to see. Proper Soundsystem with your old timers playing. Selector, Operator and DJ. No fucker doing any shopping just chilling and sitting around in a swanky store... shop assistant confused as fuck wondering why it takes 3 people to play one record.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Over there to huh?

We don't have any DJ's in our mall. Hell, they're lucky they got people in our mall.
    Yeah , all feeling that man.

Tech Wizard

I DJed at diesel in NY a while ago. It's an easy chill gig, and I always had people come up to me to say they liked what they heard. It's a good way to get people outside of your regular crowd interested in your stuff and maybe out to a party.

Nordstrom has a DJ setup here, from the looks of it, it was a numark battle pak, but i've never seen anyone using it. My friend said he saw a DJ spinning during christmas time though. Metropark, in the same mall, has a really nice setup with a high end denon club mixer and cdjs as well as 1200s.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast