DJ "Checklist"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ "Checklist"?

Default DJ "Checklist"?

Hey Guys and Girls...

Been practicing my controllerist skills as much as possible, my question for you people, is when and what are good indications or "checklists" so to speak that one can watch and keep in mind to know that your skills have reached an appropriate level to rock a party?

Maybe you guys have some basic necessities that you know every DJ should not go without learning / practicing to better their skills...

Obviously everyone has their own style, and preferences, but maybe we can come up with some good generally concentrated pointers that some of us new people can keep in mind?

Thanks in advance!

i think... the best way to achieve that point.. is... just give it a try!!!... i mean.. at some party... or other djs party.. just make a debut.. and ppl will be the judge..... maybe screams.. laughs... or something.. ull notice that!!!...

cheers!!!!

If you have any friends that DJ I would ask them where they think you are at... other than that, as long as you think you got it down, yeah, like chucuflu said, just do it! : )
    Music is what feelings sound like.

There is no definitive list id say but heres my personal one I used (off the top of my head).

- Can you mix for at least 2 hours straight without any mistakes?
    - Do you know your crowd pretty well (not going to get much love playing jungle breaks to an indie crowd)
    - Do you know your hardware/wires/equipment/sound system well enough to fix anything that might go wrong? (No music at a party........)

Can you do all that whilst inebriated? (It is a party after all!)
    If yes then go for it!

Show us a quick 20min mix, lets see.
    Novation ReMote 25, Novation Launchpad, Traktor Pro, Macbook Pro
    http://flavors.me/jkcraven

Being able to setup and pack down one handed while drunk.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Being able to setup and pack down one handed while drunk.
    I am afraid to ask what your other hand is doing while the setup and packing is going on.... :P
    Music is what feelings sound like.

OT: Jester I just want to add...your new icon thing is hilarious, I watched that video the other day and just about died laughing

"And I don't want to talk to a scientist, ya'll motherfuckers lyin and gettin me pissed"
    hahahaha

Default RE: DJ "Checklist"

Quote Originally Posted by Audible Chocolate View Post
    There is no definitive list id say but heres my personal one I used (off the top of my head).

- Can you mix for at least 2 hours straight without any mistakes?
    - Do you know your crowd pretty well (not going to get much love playing jungle breaks to an indie crowd)
    - Do you know your hardware/wires/equipment/sound system well enough to fix anything that might go wrong? (No music at a party........)

Can you do all that whilst inebriated? (It is a party after all!)
    If yes then go for it!

Show us a quick 20min mix, lets see.
    I agree with this and want to add a few -

- Do complete strangers come up and give you props? (Your mom, friends, and neighbor don't count. They're just being nice)
    - Just watch the crowd. Do people love it? Are people dancing or texting?
    Von Doom! aka Victorious
    www.isvictorious.com
    Gear list goes here - "It's the carpenter, not the tools"

Lol @ JesterNZDJ, I'm sure that holds true...

@Audible Chocolate + @vondoom, I think those are some good guidelines guys! Makes perfect sense to know your setup in and out to prevent / correct errors, and from what I understand 2 hour mixing would be longer than any typical DJ set, so it would make sense to be able to go above and beyond what you might be scheduled in case of any problems...And I totally agree that your audience is the most important indicator no matter what!

Thanks guys...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast